[d3-bounty] Parallel Coordinates Ordinal Axis Brushing - Reward!

Kai Chang

Nov 29, 2012, 8:46:25 PM11/29/12
to d3...@googlegroups.com
Reward: A copy of Parallel Coordinates: Visual Multidimensional
Geometry and Its Applications by Alfred Inselberg.

http://www.amazon.com/Parallel-Coordinates-Multidimensional-Geometry-Applications/dp/0387215077/

Problem: Create a simple example of brushing an ordinal axis in
parallel coordinates, while preserving brushes on quantitative axes.

Work from one of the following examples:

http://bl.ocks.org/1341021
http://bl.ocks.org/3709000
http://bl.ocks.org/4020926
http://bl.ocks.org/d/2411910/

https://github.com/mbostock/d3/wiki/Ordinal-Scales
https://github.com/mbostock/d3/wiki/SVG-Controls#wiki-brush
http://d3-example.herokuapp.com/examples/brush/brush-ordinal.html

Who is eligible: Anyone on the d3-js mailing list, excluding: Mike
Bostock, Jason Davies, Ian Johnson, Chris Viau, Bob Monteverde.

How to win: Post the first example bl.ocks.org demonstrating brushing
on an ordinal axis with a multidimensional dataset. It should work
with multiple ordinal axes. I encourage you to think about the design
of the solution to be flexible for many use cases, but it just needs
to work to win the prize. Document what you needed to change in the
README.md file, so that your bl.ocks page can serve as a resource to
those customizing parallel coordinates for their own needs.

The solution will be integrated into the parallel coordinates reusable
chart, and you'll be credited as a contributor.

http://syntagmatic.github.com/parallel-coordinates/

Good luck,
Kai

Chris Rich

Nov 29, 2012, 11:17:43 PM11/29/12
to d3...@googlegroups.com, kai.s...@gmail.com
Well, I'm intrigued.

I have the brushing on a single axis here.

now to bake it into one of the car examples.

Chris

Chris Rich

Nov 29, 2012, 11:19:37 PM11/29/12
to d3...@googlegroups.com, kai.s...@gmail.com
And my clipboard had the completely wrong link, whoops!  Here is the correct link:

Chris

Chris Rich

Nov 29, 2012, 11:48:09 PM11/29/12
to d3...@googlegroups.com, kai.s...@gmail.com
... and I clearly didn't read your post thoroughly enough.  You give an ordinal brushing example =P.

Chris Rich

Nov 30, 2012, 3:28:47 AM11/30/12
to d3...@googlegroups.com, kai.s...@gmail.com
I think this does it.

Chris

Kai Chang

Nov 30, 2012, 4:28:23 AM11/30/12
to d3...@googlegroups.com
Yes! You win the book! Can't believe that happened so fast.

Using the first letter of the food name is a great touch.

Shahbano Farooq

Oct 22, 2013, 1:55:39 AM10/22/13
to d3...@googlegroups.com, kai.s...@gmail.com
Hi Chris,
I have been able to use your visualization on canvas for representing titanic passengers.
However, in this layout you can dynamically move the dimensions.
I was wondering if you could show me how to do that.
Shahbano

Konrad Sobon

Sep 7, 2017, 10:24:16 AM9/7/17
to d3-js
Chris,

Is there a plan to update this example to d3 v4? I think it's great!

Kai Chang

Sep 7, 2017, 2:38:21 PM9/7/17
to d3...@googlegroups.com
There are some v4 examples out there that use this technique, here's one: https://bl.ocks.org/syntagmatic/482706e0638c67836d94b20f0cb37122