D3 the right choice?

Stan

Feb 28, 2015, 9:26:58 AM2/28/15
to d3...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I am searching for a new framework for our project. At the moment we have a tabletop application where we display index cards (PNG's), render some text on them (retrieved from a database) and move them around. In the near future we want e.g. to add links between the cards, let them rearrange according to those links, cluster them according to their type, display them  in a particular layout or add some animations like rotating the card and many other things.
I have stumbled upon the d3.js library and after exploring the examples I think it looks very promising. My question is if d3.js might be suitable for our purposes. Will it be able to display and play around with 20-100 cards (images) smoothly? What about multitouch support via hammer.js? Is it possible to use hammer.js in d3.js without bigger workarounds?

Best regards,
Stan

Kai Chang

Feb 28, 2015, 2:46:07 PM2/28/15
to d3...@googlegroups.com

Yes, 100 elements should be smooth. Check out d3.touches examples for multitouch.