How to create this kind of (Excel) contour plot?

David Luu

Nov 14, 2017, 8:48:11 PM11/14/17
to d3-js
See attached Excel surface contour plot screenshot. How can I create one of these with d3, using input data structure example in the screenshot?

I did online searches for surface and contour plots and checked the d3 gallery and have not come across one that is as close to the screenshot as possible.

This seemed to be the nearest example I could try to rework into my desired plot: https://bl.ocks.org/mbostock/f48ff9c1af4d637c9a518727f5fdfef5

Unfortunately, my mathematical visualization and d3 skills are elementary. I basically just need to plot a matrix into the kind of contour plot of the screenshot.
ExcelContourSurfacePlot.png

Olha Buchel

Nov 14, 2017, 9:00:30 PM11/14/17
to d3...@googlegroups.com
You can probably do it with plotly:

Olha

David Luu

Nov 15, 2017, 3:42:03 PM11/15/17
to d3-js
Thanks for the tip, I'll look into it more if I have to. I gave it a quick try. However, I prefer to keep things purely in d3 where possible.

Sadly seems no one has made d3 versions of those plotly contour plot examples like the basic contour plot? :(
Olha

Olha Buchel

Nov 15, 2017, 3:51:24 PM11/15/17
to d3...@googlegroups.com
I have an example purely in D3, but that contour visualization is attached to a map.
I am afraid it is too complicated.

I did not use contouring algorithm from D3.
I used conrec algorithm.

Olha