GeoJSON Maps

naesk

Jul 2, 2013, 7:32:35 PM7/2/13
to d3...@googlegroups.com
Recently I needed to some GIS data in GeoJSON format but couldn't find any pre-existing files, nor a repository of such. Following Mike's "Lets make a map" tutorial http://bost.ocks.org/mike/map/ I was able to extract the data from NaturalEarth shapefile :)

As way of contributing back to the community, I've created some GeoJSON files (sorry no TopoJSON) for regions derived from specific attributes in the NaturalEarth ne_10m_admin_0_map_subunits shapefile. Each file has the shapefile attribute table maintained within.

Maybe the community could create a repository of both GeoJSON & TopoJSON of common regions and countries.

Please feel free to use them in your projects. http://www.mediafire.com/?5faef9y5ct8mn

continent
Africa
Antarctica
Asia
Europe
North America
Oceania
Seven seas (open ocean)
South America

region_un
Africa
Americas
Antarctica
Asia
Europe
Oceania
Seven seas (open ocean)

region_wb
Antarctica
East Asia and Pacific
Europe and Central Asia
Latin America and Caribbean
Middle East and North Africa
North America
South Asia
Sub-Saharan Africa

subregion
Antarctica
Australia and New Zealand
Caribbean
Central America
Central Asia
Eastern Africa
Eastern Asia
Eastern Europe
Melanesia
Micronesia
Middle Africa
Northern Africa
Northern America
Northern Europe
Polynesia
Seven seas (open ocean)
South America
South-Eastern Asia
Southern Africa
Southern Asia
Southern Europe
Western Africa
Western Asia
Western Europe

Lei Jiang

Nov 14, 2013, 6:42:39 PM11/14/13
to d3...@googlegroups.com
Thanks very much mate!

naesk

Nov 15, 2013, 5:23:36 AM11/15/13
to d3...@googlegroups.com
YW :)
Good to know they are useful.

Steve Grantz

Jan 23, 2014, 7:44:50 AM1/23/14
to d3...@googlegroups.com
Super helpful, Sean. Thanks.

Nick Silhacek

Jan 23, 2014, 2:28:00 PM1/23/14
to d3...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot for doing this! I've been wondering myself why no repositories exist...

naesk

Jan 23, 2014, 4:06:53 PM1/23/14
to d3...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated :)

Colby Holland

Apr 18, 2014, 8:53:12 AM4/18/14
to d3...@googlegroups.com
Awesome!  Thanks for doing that.  Saved me some trouble.

naesk

Apr 18, 2014, 6:40:12 PM4/18/14
to d3...@googlegroups.com
No problem, glad it has helped and thanks for the message :)

Apr 19, 2014, 10:31:47 PM4/19/14
to d3...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I was having a hard time downloading it from the mediafire site for  a while. There were a lot of pop ups.
So I copied all the geojson files and converted them to topojson and created a github account.
You can find all the geojson and topojson files using the same folder structure as above.
I suggest downloading the zip file.   I am new to github so any suggestion are welcome.
https://github.com/myethiopia/NaturalEarth

naesk

Apr 20, 2014, 5:14:18 AM4/20/14
to d3...@googlegroups.com