Write comments/questions on the examples?

Vlado Z

Nov 30, 2016, 6:03:32 AM11/30/16
to d3-js
Wouldn't be good if we could write comments on each D3 Example page?
Or ask questions about the example?

Just a thought.

Gordon Woodhull

Nov 30, 2016, 7:46:13 AM11/30/16
to d3...@googlegroups.com
IMO Stack Overflow is really the best place for questions.
The trouble is finding enough people to answer them...

Curran

Nov 30, 2016, 8:11:00 AM11/30/16
to d3-js
That's a really cool idea. It would be amazing to have a visualization platform similar to bl.ocks.org that facilitates discussion, not only about the code but also the subject matter of the visualization. They kind of did this with ManyEyes back in 2007. Here's the ManyEyes research paper. This was back in the days before D3, they used Java applets. It was a really cool site - you could take any existing visualization, configure it to use your own data, then publish the result. Each published visualization had a discussion thread to go along with it. Too bad IBM research took the site down.

By the way, you can comment on the Gist that backs each bl.ock (example - Force-Directed Graph - scroll to bottom), but the comments are not surfaced in bl.ocks.org, and I don't think GitHub sends the author any notification when comments are made, so the effectiveness of commenting on the Gists is limited.

Best regards,
Curran

Vlado Z

Nov 30, 2016, 8:26:46 AM11/30/16
to d3-js

Doug Manuel

Dec 1, 2016, 9:26:01 AM12/1/16
to d3-js
Good idea. I too have made comments on the Github Gist. It is fairly well suited for that purpose.

IMO, Stackoverflow is the best place to get help with d3js problems -- and quite a few posts to this discussion list are probably better suited to Stackoverflow. Stackoverflow isn't well suited to general discussions.

I like how people take an orignial bl.ocks.org and then make modifications and post a new bl.ock.org with references to the original, but you don't know if anyone has done this when you look at the original. Unless, of course, you are the author of both the original and modification. I have seen people make references in Gists to modified examples.

Alex Macy

Dec 1, 2016, 12:36:26 PM12/1/16
to d3-js
That's a great idea!

It looks like the GitHub API might allow this (see here), at least to display existing comments. For example, you can access the comments on the Force-Directed Graph here: https://api.github.com/gists/4062045/comments

- Alex

Vlado Z

Dec 6, 2016, 8:59:49 AM12/6/16
to d3-js
Another improvement would be to have a "copy to clipboard" button for the code.