How to block download of old app versions from app store?

Matthias König

Jun 28, 2016, 11:12:38 AM6/28/16
to cytoscape-helpdesk
Hi all,

I just looked at the app Download overview of my app at
http://apps.cytoscape.org/apps/cy3sbml
and noticed that there are still downloads from very old versions of the app.

How can I block the download of all old versions of my app with the exception of the latest release from the app store?
How can I create a notification that a newer version of an app is available?
I can see it in App Manager -> Check for Updates, but it would be nice if there would be a message at startup.
Is it possible to write a message in "Latest News" in the Welcome Screen?

Thanks for any help
Matthias

Barry Demchak

Jun 28, 2016, 11:43:53 AM6/28/16
to cytoscape...@googlegroups.com

Hi, Matthias –

The downloads may be less of a problem than you think … we know that there’s a background level of robot activity that simply downloads everything. To understand this further, we should be diving into the HTTP logs to see where these downloads are coming from. Right??

Starting with v3.3, Cytoscape *does* give updated app notifications on the status line when Cytoscape starts up. If someone has an older version of your app installed, the message will appear. After that, it’s a question of whether they see it and act on it.

I’m reluctant to pile onto the Latest News section with an app notification … unless the app is a virus or is someone genuinely dangerous or infinitely virtuous. There isn’t much room in that space, and its virtue is that it’s small.

Do you see a great danger with the older versions?? For future versions, you might consider adding your own checking and your own messages if Cytoscape’s aren’t sufficient. Or if you can suggest a way to make Cytoscape’s messaging more effective without being overbearing, we’re happy to hear more, too.

What do you think???

Matthias König

Jun 28, 2016, 12:49:01 PM6/28/16
to cytoscape-helpdesk
Hi Barry,

is no big issue, just never saw the messages about app updates.
Implementing some version checking and automatic update should be no big problem.
But will only work from the next version on.