Cy3: problem importing gene ontologies

Corinna Vehlow

Oct 25, 2013, 4:26:18 PM10/25/13
to cytoscape...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

I tried to import Gene Ontology files as described here:
http://wiki.cytoscape.org/Cytoscape_3/UserManual
Select File → Import → Ontology and Annotation... to open the "Import Ontology and Annotation" window.

Unfortunately, the window doesn't open and I get the following output on the command line:

Cytoscape 3.1.0-beta1> CurrentNetworkViewChangedListener: number of network views = 1
handleEvent(SessionLoadedEvent evt): Session loaded: galFiltered in /Applications/Cytoscape_v3.1.0-beta1/sampleData/
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 0 >= 0
    at java.util.Vector.removeElementAt(Vector.java:511)
    at javax.swing.table.DefaultTableModel.removeRow(DefaultTableModel.java:446)
    at org.cytoscape.tableimport.internal.ui.ImportTablePanel.useFirstRow(ImportTablePanel.java:1435)
    at org.cytoscape.tableimport.internal.ui.ImportTablePanel.setPreviewPanel(ImportTablePanel.java:1578)
    at org.cytoscape.tableimport.internal.ui.ImportTablePanel.<init>(ImportTablePanel.java:348)
    at org.cytoscape.tableimport.internal.task.ImportOntologyAndAnnotationAction.actionPerformed(ImportOntologyAndAnnotationAction.java:89)
    at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2028)

Does anyone have any ideas about this problem?
Are there any requirements for the networks in order to be able to import the gene ontology information?

Corinna

Scooter Morris

Oct 25, 2013, 4:51:57 PM10/25/13
to cytoscape...@googlegroups.com
Hi Corinna,
Nope, it's definitely a bug -- I ran into the same thing and logged
a bug.

-- scooter

Corinna Vehlow

Oct 25, 2013, 7:25:51 PM10/25/13
to cytoscape...@googlegroups.com
I figured that it's working on the Cytoscape 3.0.1 version.

I'm a bit confused though about the edge rows in the table. Usually the column 'shared name' contains the information which nodes are connected, so I was expecting entries like "GO:id1 (is_a) GO:id2" if the interaction type is 'is_a'. Bizarrely, the entries are empty for that column after I imported the gene ontology (only the interaction-, selected- and SUID-columns contain entries), although the edges are visible in the network view.
How do I get the parent information for nodes (GO-terms)?