Exported network and view; when reloaded impossible to make changes to style

gabs

Apr 12, 2016, 9:52:07 AM4/12/16
to cytoscape-helpdesk
Hi There,

I have exported my network and view to a file. However, when I reload the network I can't seem to make additional changes to the network.
I have searched the helpdesk and google searched. I'll be happy to get any pointers on this issue.

Best,
Gabriel T

Barry Demchak

Apr 12, 2016, 10:43:53 AM4/12/16
to cytoscape...@googlegroups.com

Hi, Gabs –

Are you able to share a copy of the file you’re trying to load? Which Export menu did you use?

Scooter Morris

Apr 12, 2016, 12:14:31 PM4/12/16
to cytoscape...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gabriel,
    You can certainly make changes to your style, but it takes an extra step.  First, an explanation as to what's going on.  When you export your network and view, you are exporting it as an "XGMML" file.  This file includes all of the information about the visual attributes for each network, node, and edge suitable for importing into other packages that can read XGMML.  In order to do that, we have to embed the visual information in the file.  When we read that information back in, the only way to make sure that the result looks like the file says it should look is to override the style.  So, for example, we lock the fill color of a node to be the color that the XGMML file says it should be.  This is why it appears that you can't make changes.  However, you can "unlock" a node or edge attribute.  Simply select the node(s) or edge(s) you want to change and then in the style panel right-click on the Byp. column for the Property you want to change and select "Remove Bypass".  Then you'll be able to change the property to whatever you want.

-- scooter