Importing updated node attribute table

Sharon Calvin

Apr 28, 2017, 3:38:36 PM4/28/17
to cytoscape-helpdesk
Hi, I exported an existing node attribute table, then converted it from .csv to .xlsx, made changes and tried to import it again. It seems to work for changes to existing rows (nodes), but it is not importing any of the new rows (nodes). Is it not possible to add new nodes to the network in this way? Do they have to be added from within cytoscape?
Thanks!

Barry Demchak

Apr 28, 2017, 3:45:57 PM4/28/17
to cytoscape...@googlegroups.com

Hi, Sharon –

There are two things going on here, I think.

One is loading attribute (i.e., table) values … you would do that via File | Import | Table. That would give you the behavior of adding values to existing nodes.

The other is adding nodes (i.e., network). I’m not aware of a function that adds nodes to an existing network (… someone feel free to correct me). Importing nodes is done via File | Import | Network. If you do that, then you’ll get a new network containing the new nodes.

Your next move would be to merge the two networks (as Tools | Merge) so they have a common node set and attributes.

Is this what you’re trying to do??

Sharon Calvin

Apr 28, 2017, 4:15:17 PM4/28/17
to cytoscape-helpdesk