Cytoscape lock in the opening when installed on NFS

sueli -usp

Jun 27, 2016, 8:34:33 AM6/27/16
to cytoscape-helpdesk
Hi,

I'm trying to install Cytoscape on Debian 8.5 with NFS(Network File System). Installation is ok, but when I try to open it, initial screen is showed, but nothing else happens.

Any ideas how to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Barry Demchak

Jun 27, 2016, 12:09:03 PM6/27/16
to cytoscape-helpdesk

Hi –

It sounds like something may be wrong with your configuration … would you mind executing the troubleshooting script and sending us the results? http://www.cytoscape.org/troubleshooting.html

Thanks!

sueli -usp

Jun 29, 2016, 5:38:39 PM6/29/16
to cytoscape-helpdesk
Hi

Thank you for your answer.

Script informs that debian is not supported, but it was possible to install on local machines (local drive, actually). The problem occurs when I try to install on a network drive.

Do you think there is a way to do it?

The result from script is the following:

##### Cytoscape System Requirements Checker for Linux #####

 - Target Cytoscape version: 3.3.0

 - Your Shell: bash

===== Checking Distribution =====

 - Linux Distribution: Debian

 - Version: 8.5

 - Target Platform: x86_64

WARNING: This Linux distribution is not officially supported: Debian

Cytoscape might work with this machine, but not tested.

Please use any of the following distributions if possible: [ubuntu centos fedora]

Error: Could not find supported versions for debian

Barry Demchak

Jun 30, 2016, 8:06:38 PM6/30/16
to cytoscape...@googlegroups.com

Hi –

I’m afraid I can’t offer any explanation for this. It’s good that a local installation of Debian works. When you say you installed it on NFS, did you install it in a directory that has proper permissions (e.g., rwx) for the ID running Cytoscape … for the entire directory hierarchy?? (You should be fine with r-x permissions, but it might be interesting to add write permissions.)

Likewise, for your CytoscapeConfiguration directory (in your /home directory), did you make sure that it actually has rwx permissions?

The NFS storage itself shouldn’t be an issue. It’s more likely that something subtle is going on with the environment or permissions. Is it possible that you could be running 32 bit Java?? (on the command line where you’d normally start Cytoscape, execute “java –version” … does it tell you you’re running 64 bits? Also, when you start Cytoscape (via ./cytoscape.sh), does the command shell window tell you anything about any errors??

Thanks.