selecting non contiguous rows in column to apply style: ctrl + select not working

Lucio Marcello

Apr 26, 2017, 11:41:10 AM4/26/17
to cytoscape-helpdesk
Dear all,

I have just started using cytoscape to use the Social Network app and I want to colour my author network generated from a pubmed search to highlight the institutes involved in the publications. When I apply the colour, under the style tab, I would like to select non-contiguous rows from the institutions column, as there are many cases where the departments of the same institute are located in different part of the list, and I would like to apply the same colour.

It seems to be possible to do shift-select to select contiguous rows but ctrl+select does not work. As I am dealing with a long list, to deal with each row individually would take a long time and be subject to errors in colour assignment.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

All the best,

Lucio

Barry Demchak

Apr 26, 2017, 11:45:40 AM4/26/17
to cytoscape...@googlegroups.com

Hi –

Welcome aboard. How about using the Select tab (on the left control panel) to specify a filter. If you give the right filter criteria (e.g., a column filter identifying the column of interest and text within the column), you’ll get Cytoscape to do the selecting for you.

You didn’t say which type of system you’re working on … the key assignments do matter. On my Windows 10 system, both Ctrl-click and Shift-click will work for multiple individual selections.

Alexander Pico

Apr 26, 2017, 12:27:50 PM4/26/17
to cytoscape...@googlegroups.com
And on a mac, command-click will allow non-contiguous multiselect.

 - Alex

Lucio Marcello

Apr 26, 2017, 12:42:58 PM4/26/17
to cytoscape...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex and Barry,

Many thanks for your reply! I am using Windows 10 and the ctrl + select does not work, at least on my laptop... The filter tip works great! I am using it for countries rather than institutions, or else I would have to create too many filters, but it is a good workaround for now.

So far so good :)

Many thanks again,

Lucio

On Apr 26, 2017, at 8:45 AM, Barry Demchak <idekerlab...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi –

Welcome aboard. How about using the Select tab (on the left control panel) to specify a filter. If you give the right filter criteria (e.g., a column filter identifying the column of interest and text within the column), you’ll get Cytoscape to do the selecting for you.

You didn’t say which type of system you’re working on … the key assignments do matter. On my Windows 10 system, both Ctrl-click and Shift-click will work for multiple individual selections.

Barry Demchak

Apr 27, 2017, 11:02:52 AM4/27/17
to cytoscape...@googlegroups.com

Hi, Lucio –

Great news …

I have tried it a couple of ways here, and all selections are working as expected. I have a few questions for you …

Can you try this on a different PC … I’m wondering if this is a problem isolated on your laptop.

Are you using a US-English keyboard?? This shouldn’t matter, but it’s good to know.

Can you try a drag select?? This is done by holding down the Shift key and dragging the mouse to create a rectangle of selected nodes. Does this work??

Thanks!

Lucio Marcello

Apr 28, 2017, 8:08:38 AM4/28/17
to cytoscape...@googlegroups.com
Hi Barry,

I haven't been able to test another computer yet, but I tried reinstalling cytoscape and Social Network and that did not fix it. I have a UK keyboard. I tried with both my laptop keyboard and an external keyboard. Drag select works.

When I do ctrl+ select whatever what selected previously is deselected...

Could it be a compatibility issue between the latest version of cytoscape and Social Network? ( I saw that the app page states it works for version 3.2)

I'll hopefully test another computer over the next couple of days and get back to you.

Many thanks!

Lucio