Remove Duplicated Edges behaviour

Oana VIGY

Oct 13, 2017, 4:35:22 AM10/13/17
to cytoscape...@googlegroups.com

Dear All,

I have a question regarding the function "Remove Duplicated Edges" which deletes "edges that are complete duplicates, keeping one edge" (explanations from the user manual).

How are relations defined as "complete duplicates"? Is-it just relations between the same two nodes? even if the relation key is different?

I made simple tests (see attached) to try to understand the behaviour.
  • [top of the picture] I have two proteins with 2 interactions defined as "ppi". In removing duplicates, one single edge is kept : ok
  • [bottom of the picture] I have the same two proteins with interactions published in 2 different articles so I created different edge-keys (in "shared interaction"). In removing duplicates, one single edge is kept while for me, there are not duplicates.

I don't say it'a bug :-) I just want to understand how it works to use this feature in a good way.

Best regards,
Oana

Cytoscape_removeDuplicateEdge.pdf

adam.t...@gladstone.ucsf.edu

Oct 20, 2017, 3:03:46 PM10/20/17
to cytoscape-helpdesk

I've looked at the code, and the only comparison done to establish if the edges are duplicated is of the source and target node. (Direction is checked or ignored, as per the option in the dialog).   No attributes of the edges, such as the name, are considered in the operation.

It's fair to call this a bug.  In fact, its in our system here: http://code.cytoscape.org/redmine/issues/3343
The complicating issue is that the command is not part of Cytoscape itself, it's in the NetworkAnalyzer app, and there is no set timeframe for when that might be revised.

Adam

Oana VIGY

Oct 24, 2017, 9:29:28 AM10/24/17
to cytoscape...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Adam for having a look at that.

Have a good day,

Oana

Oana VIGY

Plate-forme de Protéomique Fonctionnelle (FPP)
c/o IGF, UMR 5203 CNRS - INSERM U1191 - Université de Montpellier
141 rue de la Cardonille
34 094 Montpellier Cedex 5, France

Tel: +33 (0)4 34 35 92 05
Site web : www.fpp.cnrs.fr