MCL Cluster results panel

ZP

Aug 22, 2016, 3:35:48 PM8/22/16
to cytoscape-helpdesk
HI sorry to ask such a basic question, but having used MCL cluster  to seperate clusters, the results panel delinates the clusters, but also offers a score. what exactly does the score represent? the cluster coefficient? what constitutes a "good" versus a "bad" score?
thanks
ZP

Scooter Morris

Aug 22, 2016, 5:08:33 PM8/22/16
to cytoscape...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
    Currently, if the algorithm itself does not provide a score, clusterMaker2 (which I assume you are referring to) uses a simple modularity calculation, that's defined for each cluster as:
    modularity = (innerEdges/edgeCount) - ((2*innerEdges - outerEdges)/(2*edgeCount))2

So, in general, a high modularity (more inner edges than outer edges) is good.   Recent papers have suggested that Silhouette might be a better measure, so I'll probably be looking to move to that at some point in the future.

-- scooter

Zudin Puthucheary

Aug 23, 2016, 1:15:58 AM8/23/16
to cytoscape...@googlegroups.com
Thank you!
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "cytoscape-helpdesk" group.