Edge weight

Abdulrahman Alhaider

Apr 3, 2017, 10:30:52 AM4/3/17
to cytoscape-helpdesk
Hi, I am new to social networking software and I have a simple quick question.

What is the purpose of edge weight and what does it actually mean?

Thanks,

Ruth Isserlin

Apr 3, 2017, 10:35:10 AM4/3/17
to cytoscape...@googlegroups.com
Edge weight means different things for different networks.  How have you created your network?

Abdulrahman Alhaider

Apr 3, 2017, 10:54:06 AM4/3/17
to cytoscape...@googlegroups.com
Not yet actually, but as I was playing with some software (e.g., SocNetV) it gives me the option of having a weight for the edge. I looked for a clear meaning but there were none. The clearest one I found, as I will build my network to represent a communication between workers at a particular department, was it depends on the relation between worker. If there is more than one relation the weight increases.

I apologize if this makes no sense as I am not really familiar with network yet.

On Apr 3, 2017, at 10:30 AM, Abdulrahman Alhaider <aa.al...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi, I am new to social networking software and I have a simple quick question.

What is the purpose of edge weight and what does it actually mean?

Thanks,

Barry Demchak

Apr 3, 2017, 11:00:30 AM4/3/17
to cytoscape...@googlegroups.com

Adbulrhman –

Ruth is correct … there are many things people use edge weights for.

For example, suppose you have a commerce graph, and the edges represent payments between parties. The edge weight would be a scalar representing the size of the payment.

You could use the edge weight in several ways:

1)      Map the thickness or color of the edge to the magnitude of the edge weight

2)      Use Prefuse layout to put nodes connected by high edge weights close and small edge weights far

3)      Use filters to remove edges representing small payments from a graph (by removing edges having small weight)

There are a number of graph theory issues that are solved or complicated by edge weights … for example, calculating shortest path between two nodes: do you use the raw path or the path having the lowest cumulative edge weight?

Best to get a book on graph theory to investigate further.