KEGG subscription

susmithashankar95

Aug 17, 2016, 10:10:12 AM8/17/16
to cytoscape-helpdesk
Hi,

We are bunch of undergraduates working on KEGG database for research purpose intending to publish a research paper. We wish to know whether KEGG database for academic research purpose is still public or requires a ftp subscription. If required please guide us with the procedures.

Regards

Scooter Morris

Aug 18, 2016, 10:18:00 AM8/18/16
to cytoscape-helpdesk
From the KEGG web site:

"The KEGG database will continue to be made freely available on the web. We are encouraged with the increasing popularity of the KEGG web service – the number of unique visitors per month has now reached 400 to 500 thousand and has more than doubled over the last three years. With your support KEGG will be sustainable as a most advanced, high-quality database meeting the changing needs of biological science." [1]

So, unless you are going to use the FTP service, it seems as if you can continue to use KEGG web services freely.  However, that being said, this is a Cytoscape help-desk and we are not affiliated with KEGG in any way, so I would contact KEGG for a definitive answer.

-- scooter