Cannot make "paste" function work in Cytoscape or any apps

Thomas McElrath

Oct 13, 2017, 8:32:04 AM10/13/17
to cytoscape-helpdesk
I cannot get the "Paste" (right click) function work in my Cytoscape 3.5.1 version.  This makes workflow almost impossible.  Please advise.

Barry Demchak

Oct 13, 2017, 8:51:05 AM10/13/17
to cytoscape-helpdesk
Are you on a Mac or PC?

Barry Demchak -- from my mobile phone

On Oct 13, 2017 5:32 AM, "Thomas McElrath" <thomas....@gmail.com> wrote:
I cannot get the "Paste" (right click) function work in my Cytoscape 3.5.1 version.  This makes workflow almost impossible.  Please advise.

Thomas McElrath

Oct 13, 2017, 11:14:24 AM10/13/17
to cytoscape-helpdesk
Am on a PC with Windows 7.

Barry Demchak

Oct 13, 2017, 11:18:14 AM10/13/17
to cytoscape...@googlegroups.com

OK … To test this on my setup (PC Window 10), I loaded the Sample Yeast Network that comes with Cytoscape.

I then

1)      selected a few nodes

2)      Right click, Edit | Copy

3)      Right click, Edit | Paste

And now I see new nodes duplicating the original nodes.

Is this what you’re doing??

Are you trying to use Ctrl-c, Ctrl-v for copy/paste?

That works on my PC, too.

Can you tell me, step by step, what you’re trying??

Thomas McElrath

Oct 13, 2017, 1:27:59 PM10/13/17
to cytoscape-helpdesk
It is very odd but neither in Cytoscape or any of the apps, the left or right click functionality does not work to either highlight existing text/notes or to paste in gene names into text boxes (e.g. in BiNGO). Using CTL-V etc. does not work either.  I cannot find a setting tab or similar feature among the Cytoscape tabs to check some enabling function.  Frustrating.

Barry Demchak

Oct 13, 2017, 1:32:45 PM10/13/17
to cytoscape-helpdesk
OK ... can you also tell me which JVM you're using??

You should be able to run "java -version" from a command window.

Alternately, you could run the troubleshooting script available at http://www.cytoscape.org/troubleshooting.html and send the result to me. (Be sure to save it on your disk and run it from a command window, not directly from the browser.)

Thomas McElrath

Oct 13, 2017, 2:04:58 PM10/13/17
to cytoscape-helpdesk
Ok -

Am using Version 8 Update 131 (build 1.8.0_131-b11)

Thomas McElrath

Oct 13, 2017, 2:33:05 PM10/13/17
to cytoscape-helpdesk
Ran script, my Java was outdated.  Loaded in new Java. Still not paste functionality.

Barry Demchak

Oct 16, 2017, 10:34:03 AM10/16/17
to cytoscape...@googlegroups.com

Hi, Thomas …

This is very odd … I don’t think I’ve seen this before.

Does this happen on any other machines in you lab??

Also, are you running some kind of virtual machine? … or other software that would capture events before they reach Cytoscape?

Can you list the apps you have installed? Does this happen if you uninstall all of the apps and then restart Cytoscape??

Thanks.

Ran script, my Java was outdated.  Loaded in new Java. Still not paste functionality.

On Friday, October 13, 2017 at 8:32:04 AM UTC-4, Thomas McElrath wrote:

I cannot get the "Paste" (right click) function work in my Cytoscape 3.5.1 version.  This makes workflow almost impossible.  Please advise.

Thomas McElrath

Oct 16, 2017, 12:21:00 PM10/16/17
to cytoscape...@googlegroups.com
Hi Barry,

That is the odd thing, it happens on every machine in the lab. I will try reinstalling apps and see.

Tom

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 10:32 AM, Barry Demchak <idekerlab...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi, Thomas …

This is very odd … I don’t think I’ve seen this before.

Does this happen on any other machines in you lab??

Also, are you running some kind of virtual machine? … or other software that would capture events before they reach Cytoscape?

Can you list the apps you have installed? Does this happen if you uninstall all of the apps and then restart Cytoscape??

Thanks.

Ran script, my Java was outdated.  Loaded in new Java. Still not paste functionality.

On Friday, October 13, 2017 at 8:32:04 AM UTC-4, Thomas McElrath wrote:

I cannot get the "Paste" (right click) function work in my Cytoscape 3.5.1 version.  This makes workflow almost impossible.  Please advise.

Barry Demchak

Oct 16, 2017, 12:24:33 PM10/16/17
to cytoscape...@googlegroups.com

Or try a Cytoscape with *no* apps installed, and then add apps one at a time until copy/paste no longer works.