Combined networks

Abdulrahman Alhaider

Apr 24, 2017, 10:46:34 PM4/24/17
to cytoscape-helpdesk

Hello,

I came across a paper that I found something very interesting in it. What they did basically is combining two or more types of networks (e.g. Social network with task network) as the attached picture. Does Cytoscape do that? Also does anyone know what was the software used?

Barry Demchak

Apr 25, 2017, 3:00:47 PM4/25/17
to cytoscape...@googlegroups.com

Hi –

I don’t know whether this was done in Cytoscape … it could have been, though the legend would have been done with an external tool (e.g., Illustrator?).

What I think you’re asking is whether two networks can be in the same network. Definitely. There’s a number of ways to do it. The easiest might be to load both networks, then select all nodes and edges from one and paste it onto the other. Getting the nodes grouped separately on the same page would need some dragging and layout, but that’s what Cytoscape is good at.

Abdulrahman Alhaider

Apr 26, 2017, 6:34:27 PM4/26/17
to cytoscape...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Barry. I will try that approach.
In the paper I referred to, there is a software mentioned in the paper that was used to analyze the network called AGNA, which I was not able to download and figure out whether it was the one used to do that.

Thanks,