Incremental hierarchical layout in Cytoscape

Gloria Kreitinger

Feb 6, 2015, 9:35:15 AM2/6/15
to cytoscape...@googlegroups.com
I would like to make a tripartite network in Cytoscape, where I have three different types of nodes with a defined hierarchy.  I have node types A, B, and C, A-B edges and B-C edges.  I would first like to create a hierarchical graph using only A and B nodes and then, keeping the A/B network structure the same, incrementally add the second set of B-C edges on top.

Figure 5.36 from this site describes exactly what I want to do: http://docs.yworks.com/yfiles/doc/developers-guide/incremental_hierarchical_layouter.html

However, I cannot find an easy way to do this in Cytoscape.

Is this possible in Cytoscpae 3.1?

Much thanks,

Gloria

piet molenaar

Feb 6, 2015, 11:05:41 AM2/6/15
to cytoscape-helpdesk
Hi Gloria,
This should be possible by using the hierarchical layout on selected nodes only (A and B, you'd have to annotate these with an attribute in a data column to select these). Subsequent scaling enables hierarchical laout of subsections; something along the lines depicted below...
Hope this helps,
Piet

Inline image 1
Select
Inline image 3
Apply: Layout>Hierarchical>Selected Nodes
Inline image 4
Scale rotate and move
Inline image 5
Apply bundling