Bug reporting/fixing guidelines

Martin Cerny

Aug 11, 2016, 7:28:03 AM8/11/16
to cytoscape...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
I wonder what are the preferred (from the point of view of the cytoscape development team) guidelines to report and/or propose fixes for bugs in Cytoscape?

To be specific: about a month ago I stumbled upon a minor but annoying bug, I reported it in Redmine (http://code.cytoscape.org/redmine/issues/3623) and proposed a fix in a pull request (https://github.com/cytoscape/cytoscape-impl/pull/21/files). And then nothing happened. Is a month of no activity around a bug to be expected (I am well aware that this is not a commercial project with guranteed support)? Or is there anything else that should be done with a bug to bring attention to it?

Note that the bug is assigned to me, because I wanted to write the fix, but after the fix was done, I did not find a way to reassign the bug in Redmine (I probably do not have necessary permissions for reassigning bugs).

Thanks
Martin Cerny

Scooter Morris

Aug 11, 2016, 12:02:35 PM8/11/16
to cytoscape...@googlegroups.com
Hi Martin,
    Looks like you created the bug and then assigned it to yourself, which means nobody else saw it.  Best practice would be to create the bug, but not assign it to anyone.  Then we'll review it at our weekly meeting.   I've unassigned you so it should pop up on our unassigned bugs list today.

-- scooter