STRING --> Your query returned no results

Andrey Markov

Nov 16, 2017, 3:34:52 AM11/16/17
to cytoscape-helpdesk
Dear colleagues,

Today I faced the problem with the STRING App.
After switching on the Cytoscape, I pushed on the button "From Network Database..." into the "Welcome to Cytoscape" window. After that I chose Data source: "STRING: protein query" and Search Mode: Search by ID. Than I entered the name of proteins (official gene ID like, STAT1, TLR4, APP. etc.), installed confidence score 0.7 and max. numb. of interactors: 20 and pushed on Import. After that the window with text "No results. Your query returned no results". I tried to enter the names of proteins encoded by another ID (Entrez, Uniprot), but mentioned problem did not disappear. Some days ago I constructed PPI Network without any problems.

Please, could you tell me - what should I do?

Additional Information:
Cytoscape 3.5.1
Java version: 1.8.0_131
stringApp 1.1.1

Thanks a lot!

Sincerely yours,
Andrey Markov

Andrey Markov

Nov 16, 2017, 4:27:00 AM11/16/17
to cytoscape-helpdesk

четверг, 16 ноября 2017 г., 15:34:52 UTC+7 пользователь Andrey Markov написал:
Problem with STRING App.pdf

Scooter Morris

Nov 16, 2017, 11:50:41 AM11/16/17
to cytoscape-helpdesk
Hi Andrey,
   I just tested and things are working for me here.  Can you run Cytoscape from a shell and see if you get any errors?  There also might be some clues in the Task History (second button in the lower-left hand corner).

-- scooter

Andrey Markov

Nov 17, 2017, 3:43:30 AM11/17/17
to cytoscape-helpdesk
Dear Scooter,

Thanks a lot! I repeated my analysis and now Cytoscape and STRING App are working fine!

Sincerely,
Andrey

Tejas Chirmade

Nov 23, 2017, 9:15:06 AM11/23/17
to cytoscape-helpdesk
Dear Colleagues,

I am facing the same error with the STRING App. I have tried using TAIR IDs, official gene IDs. It used to work earlier and all of a sudden it is giving the same error "Your query returned no results". I have updated the Java version, the OS. Can anyone please help me with this?

Thanks and regards,
Tejas

Tejas Chirmade

Nov 23, 2017, 9:15:06 AM11/23/17
to cytoscape-helpdesk
Hi Scooter,

I am facing the same problem with STRING App for Arabidopsis thaliana IDs. Is there any update that I need to perform?

Thanks,
Tejas

Andrey Markov

Nov 23, 2017, 10:29:26 PM11/23/17
to cytoscape-helpdesk
Hey Tejas!

I tried to create a PPI network with random Arabidopsis thaliana IDs (information from https://www.arabidopsis.org/servlets/processor?type=genesymbol&update_action=view_symbol) and really the aforemantioned problem appeared again! Moreover, the error  "Your query returned no results" doesn't disappear when I worked with Homo sapiense protein identifiers (official gene name). Unfortunatelly I don't know how to run Cytoscape from a shell, but I did not find any problems in the Task History.
In the previous case, the problem was solved within about 1 day without my manipulations with updating the Cytoscape, Java, STRING App. I hope, that it will happen again this time.

Sincerely,
Andrey

Scooter Morris

Nov 24, 2017, 12:05:24 AM11/24/17
to cytoscape...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrey,
    Can you send me the gene symbols that are causing you problems?  I'm not having any problems here with Cytoscape 3.6.0 and StringApp 1.2.0 (which will be released tomorrow).

-- scooter

Andrey Markov

Nov 24, 2017, 1:51:17 AM11/24/17
to cytoscape-helpdesk
Hi Scooter,

H. sapiens gene list:
ABCB7
ACACA
ACADM
ACLY
ACTA2
ACTB
ACTG1
ACTN4
ACTN1
ACVR1
ACYP2
ADAR
ADM
AGL
AHCY
ALB
ABCD1
ALDH2
ALDH1A3
AMD1
AMY1B
AMY1C
ANG
ANXA1
BIRC2
BIRC3
APP
ARF3
ARF4
ARF5
ARG2
RHOB
RND3

Arabidopsis thaliana IDs:
AAA
AAC
AACT
AAF
AAH
AAO
AAP
AAPT
AAR
AARL
AAT
AATL
AATP
ABA
ABC
ABC
ABF
ABH
ABI
ABL
ABO
ABP
ABR
ABR
ABS
ACA
ACA
ACBP
ACC
ACD
ACE
ACEX
ACF
ACG
ACHT
ACI
ACL
ACLA
ACLB
ACN
ACO
ACOS
ACP
ACR
ACS
ACS
ACT
ACT
ACW
ACX
ADA
ADA
ADC
ADD
ADE
ADF
ADG
ADH
ADK
ADL
ADN
ADO
ADP
ADR
ADTO
AEL
AEP
AES
AESP
AFB
AFC
AFL
AFO
AFP
AFP
AFR
AFS
AFT
AG
AGA
AGB
AGD
AGE
AGG
AGI
AGK
AGL
AGM
AGO
AGP
AGR
AGS
AGT
AHA
AHASS
AHB
AHD
AHG
AHL
AHM
AHP
AHS
AIA
AIF
AIG
AIL
AIM
AIN
AIN
AIP
AIRF
AIRL
AIS
AITR
AJH
AJX
AKH
AKR
AKT
AKV
ALA
ALAAT
ALAC
ALB
ALBI
ALC
ALD
ALDH
ALE
ALF
ALH
ALI
ALIS
ALK
ALLTW
ALNS
ALR
ALS
ALT
ALX
AMK
AML
AMN
AMO
AMP
AMPL
AMS
AMSH
AMT
AMT
AMY
AN
ANA
ANG
ANL
ANP
ANT
ANU
ANY
AOAT
AOC
AOE
AOP
AOS
AOX
AP
APA
APD
APE
APG
APG
API
APIH
APK
APL
APL
APM
APMU
APO
APP
APP
APPR
APR
APRR
APS
APS
APS
APSE
APT
APU
APUM
APX
APY
AQI
AQP
AR
ARA
ARA
ARAD
ARC
ARD
AREB
ARF
ARF
ARG
ARGAH
ARH
ARI
ARI
ARID
ARIX
ARK
ARM
ARP
ARP
ARP
ARR
ARS
ART
ARTEMIS
ARU
ARX
AS
ASA
ASA
ASB
ASB
ASC
ASF
ASG
ASH
ASIL
ASK
ASP
ASP
ASPGA
ASPGB
ASR
AST
ASY
ATA
ATBI
ATBS
ATC
ATD
ATEM
ATFC
ATG
ATGH
ATH
ATHB
ATI
ATK
ATKC
ATKT
ATM
ATM
ATML
ATN
ATO
ATPT
ATR
ATRR
ATS
ATSR
ATSR
ATST
ATT
ATX
AUG
AUN
AUR
AUX
AVA
AVB
AVP
AVPL
AWE
AWN
AXE
AXR
AXY
AYA
AZA
AZD
AZF

Confidence score = 0.7
Max. number of interactors = 20

Thanks in advance!!!

Sincerely yours,
Andrey

Scooter Morris

Nov 24, 2017, 2:33:16 AM11/24/17
to cytoscape...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrey,

Both of those lists work for me.  I get 53 nodes and 209 edges for the H. sapiens and 122 nodes and 250 edges for the A. thaliana.  I would suggest upgrading to 3.6.0 and grabbing the new stringApp (1.2.0) when it's released (hopefully tomorrow).

-- scooter
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cytoscape-helpd...@googlegroups.com.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/cytoscape-helpdesk.

Andrey Markov

Nov 24, 2017, 5:42:49 AM11/24/17
to cytoscape-helpdesk
Dear Scooter,

I have upgraded Cytoscape to 3.6.0 version but the problem, unfortunatelly, did not solved. So, let's wait for the novel STRING App's release.

Thank you for your care!

Andrey

Andrey Markov

Nov 24, 2017, 5:56:14 AM11/24/17
to cytoscape-helpdesk
Dear Scooter,
I checked Task History and found some mistakes depicted by orange triangles. I added the copy of this information - the problems are colored by orange. Is it critical for fine working in STRING App?
  •  couldn't find resource 'groupSettings.props' in jar.

  Load Image Library

  •  Custom Graphics Image property file loaded from: C:\Users\Марков Андрей\CytoscapeConfiguration\images3
  •  Image loading process finished in 0.007 sec.
  •  Currently, -1 images are available.
  •  adding IO taskFactory
  •  adding IO taskFactory
  •  adding IO taskFactory
  •  adding IO taskFactory
  •  adding IO taskFactory
  •  adding IO taskFactory
  •  adding IO taskFactory
  •  adding IO taskFactory
  •  adding IO taskFactory
  •  adding IO taskFactory
  •  adding IO taskFactory
  •  adding IO taskFactory
  •  adding IO taskFactory
  •  adding IO taskFactory
  •  adding IO taskFactory
  •  Image saving process finished in 0.598 sec.
  •  The virtual key 'VK_?' does not exist.
  •  couldn't find resource 'layout.grid.props' in jar.
  •  Inserted menu item: javax.swing.JMenuItem[,0,0,0x0,invalid,alignmentX=0.0,alignmentY=0.0,border=javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicBorders$MarginBorder@5fc147b,flags=256,maximumSize=,minimumSize=,preferredSize=,defaultIcon=,disabledIcon=,disabledSelectedIcon=,margin=javax.swing.plaf.InsetsUIResource[top=0,left=0,bottom=0,right=0],paintBorder=false,paintFocus=false,pressedIcon=,rolloverEnabled=false,rolloverIcon=,rolloverSelectedIcon=,selectedIcon=,text=Remove Style] with gravity: 4.0
  •  Inserted menu item: javax.swing.JMenuItem[,0,0,0x0,invalid,alignmentX=0.0,alignmentY=0.0,border=javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicBorders$MarginBorder@5fc147b,flags=256,maximumSize=,minimumSize=,preferredSize=,defaultIcon=,disabledIcon=,disabledSelectedIcon=,margin=javax.swing.plaf.InsetsUIResource[top=0,left=0,bottom=0,right=0],paintBorder=false,paintFocus=false,pressedIcon=,rolloverEnabled=false,rolloverIcon=,rolloverSelectedIcon=,selectedIcon=,text=Rename Style...] with gravity: 3.0
  •  Inserted menu separator with gravity: 5.9999
  •  Inserted menu item: javax.swing.JMenuItem[,0,0,0x0,invalid,alignmentX=0.0,alignmentY=0.0,border=javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicBorders$MarginBorder@5fc147b,flags=256,maximumSize=,minimumSize=,preferredSize=,defaultIcon=,disabledIcon=,disabledSelectedIcon=,margin=javax.swing.plaf.InsetsUIResource[top=0,left=0,bottom=0,right=0],paintBorder=false,paintFocus=false,pressedIcon=,rolloverEnabled=false,rolloverIcon=,rolloverSelectedIcon=,selectedIcon=,text=Create Legend...] with gravity: 6.0
  •  Inserted menu separator with gravity: 4.9999
  •  Inserted menu item: javax.swing.JMenuItem[,0,0,0x0,invalid,alignmentX=0.0,alignmentY=0.0,border=javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicBorders$MarginBorder@5fc147b,flags=256,maximumSize=,minimumSize=,preferredSize=,defaultIcon=,disabledIcon=,disabledSelectedIcon=,margin=javax.swing.plaf.InsetsUIResource[top=0,left=0,bottom=0,right=0],paintBorder=false,paintFocus=false,pressedIcon=,rolloverEnabled=false,rolloverIcon=,rolloverSelectedIcon=,selectedIcon=,text=Make Current Styles Default] with gravity: 5.0
  •  CyNetwork w/ private tables created: ID = 2
  •  CyNetwork w/ private tables created: Base Graph ID = 18
  •  Inserted menu item: javax.swing.JMenuItem[,0,0,0x0,invalid,alignmentX=0.0,alignmentY=0.0,border=javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicBorders$MarginBorder@5fc147b,flags=256,maximumSize=,minimumSize=,preferredSize=,defaultIcon=,disabledIcon=,disabledSelectedIcon=,margin=javax.swing.plaf.InsetsUIResource[top=0,left=0,bottom=0,right=0],paintBorder=false,paintFocus=false,pressedIcon=,rolloverEnabled=false,rolloverIcon=,rolloverSelectedIcon=,selectedIcon=,text=Copy Style...] with gravity: 2.0
  •  Inserted menu item: javax.swing.JMenuItem[,0,0,0x0,invalid,alignmentX=0.0,alignmentY=0.0,border=javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicBorders$MarginBorder@5fc147b,flags=256,maximumSize=,minimumSize=,preferredSize=,defaultIcon=,disabledIcon=,disabledSelectedIcon=,margin=javax.swing.plaf.InsetsUIResource[top=0,left=0,bottom=0,right=0],paintBorder=false,paintFocus=false,pressedIcon=,rolloverEnabled=false,rolloverIcon=,rolloverSelectedIcon=,selectedIcon=,text=Create New Style...] with gravity: 1.0
  •  couldn't find resource 'layout.stacked-node-layout.props' in jar.
  •  couldn't find resource 'layout.hierarchical.props' in jar.
  •  couldn't find resource 'layout.isom.props' in jar.
  •  couldn't find resource 'layout.attributes-layout.props' in jar.
  •  couldn't find resource 'layout.fruchterman-rheingold.props' in jar.
  •  couldn't find resource 'layout.circular.props' in jar.
  •  couldn't find resource 'layout.attribute-circle.props' in jar.
  •  couldn't find resource 'layout.kamada-kawai.props' in jar.
  •  couldn't find resource 'layout.cose.props' in jar.
  •  couldn't find resource 'layout.degree-circle.props' in jar.
  •  couldn't find resource 'layout.force-directed.props' in jar.
  •  adding IO taskFactory
  •  Silencing event source: org.cytoscape.equations.internal.EquationParserImpl@74b2d6f7
  •  New Function Registered: DEGREE
  •  New Function Registered: INDEGREE
  •  New Function Registered: OUTDEGREE
  •  New Function Registered: SOURCEID
  •  New Function Registered: TARGETID
  •  Unsilencing event source: org.cytoscape.equations.internal.EquationParserImpl@74b2d6f7
  •  Loaded app PSI-MI Reader
  •  Loaded app CyCL
  •  Loaded app JSON Support
  •  Loaded app PSICQUIC Web Service Client
  •  Loaded app Biomart Web Service Client
  •  Loaded app OpenCL Prefuse Layout
  •  Loaded app Core Apps
  •  Loaded app Network Merge
  •  Loaded app NetworkAnalyzer
  •  Loaded app SBML Reader
  •  Loaded app BioPAX Reader
  •  Loaded app Welcome Screen
  •  Loaded app cyREST
  •  Loaded app Command Line Implementation
  •  adding IO taskFactory
  •  adding IO taskFactory
  •  Started app PSI-MI Reader
  •  Started app CyCL
  •  adding IO taskFactory
  •  adding IO taskFactory
  •  Specified factory is null or has wrong DataCategory (SESSION)
  •  Specified factory is null or has wrong DataCategory (SESSION)
  •  Specified factory is null or has wrong DataCategory (SESSION)
  •  Started app JSON Support
  •  New network import client registered: Universal Interaction Database Client
  •  Started app PSICQUIC Web Service Client
  •  New network import client registered: BioMart Client
  •  Started app Biomart Web Service Client
  •  Started app OpenCL Prefuse Layout
  •  Started app Core Apps
  •  Started app Network Merge
  •  Started app NetworkAnalyzer
  •  Started app SBML Reader
  •  New visual Style registered to VMM: BioPAX
  •  Total Number of VS in VMM = 2
  •  New visual Style registered to VMM: BioPAX_SIF
  •  Total Number of VS in VMM = 3
  •  Started app BioPAX Reader
  •  Started app Welcome Screen
  •  Started app cyREST
  •  couldn't find resource 'layout.force-directed-cl.props' in jar.
  •  Started app Command Line Implementation

Tejas Chirmade

Dec 7, 2017, 11:43:18 PM12/7/17
to cytoscape-helpdesk
Dear Scooter,

I have updated both the cytoscape and STRING App. However the problem is still not solved. Is that problem with using Arabidopsis database or with some other databases too?

Regards,
Tejas

Scooter Morris

Dec 8, 2017, 12:02:16 AM12/8/17
to cytoscape...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tejas,
    Are you entering those ids with commas or newlines?  They should be entered with newlines.  If I enter:
PHYB
FLC
FT
PHYA
NPR1
AG
ETR1
LFY
CO
PR1

and set the number of additional proteins to 20, I get a network with 30 nodes and 318 edges.

-- scooter

Andreas Wrona

Dec 12, 2017, 4:49:16 AM12/12/17
to cytoscape-helpdesk
I have the exact same problem. Would love a solution to this issue!

Andreas Wrona

Dec 12, 2017, 5:11:18 AM12/12/17
to cytoscape-helpdesk
Issue was resolved when running the following versions of software: Cytoscape 3.6.0, StringApp 1.2.1 and Java Runtime environment 8.

Scooter Morris

Dec 12, 2017, 10:09:42 AM12/12/17
On 12/12/2017 02:11 AM, Andreas Wrona wrote:
Issue was resolved when running the following versions of software: Cytoscape 3.6.0, StringApp 1.2.1 and Java Runtime environment 8.
Excellent!  StringApp 1.2.1 was just released yesterday, so I'm glad to hear that it fixed your problem.

-- scooter

Den tirsdag den 12. december 2017 kl. 10.49.16 UTC+1 skrev Andreas Wrona:
I have the exact same problem. Would love a solution to this issue!

imn....@gmail.com

Jan 4, 2018, 9:04:54 AM1/4/18
to cytoscape-helpdesk
Dear Morris,
I still have problem with String app. Cytoscape freezes after I start the search with mouse Uniprot ids. It throws an error stating "Unexpected exception while handling listener:org.cytoscape.model.events.ColumnCreatedListener". I have used Cytoscape 3.6.0 and StringApp 1.2.1 versions.
My id's are
P56391
P50516
P50518
P12787
Q9CPQ1
P48771
P17665
P00397
P00405
P00158
P03899
P03911
P03921
Q9CQ75
Q62425
Q91YT0
Q61387
Q9CQ69
Q9CZ13
Q8K3J1
Q91WD5
Q91VD9
Q3UIU2
Q80SY3
P52503
Q9R1Q9
Q99LY9
Q9CQ91
Q9DC69
P56393
Q8R1I1
Q9CQJ8
Q7TMF3
Q9Z1P6
Q9CPX8
Q9CR68
Q9CR61
Q9DB77
Q9CQZ5
Q9ERS2
Q99LC3
Q9CQ54
Q9CPU2
Q9CPP6
Q9DCT2
Q9DCJ5
Q9D6J6
P57746
Q9DC70

Best regards,
Imran

Scooter Morris

Jan 4, 2018, 10:58:44 AM1/4/18
to cytoscape...@googlegroups.com
Hi Imran,
    I'm not seeing a problem with that list of proteins.  Are you
running that in an empty session?

-- scooter

Imran Mohammad

Jan 4, 2018, 11:01:40 AM1/4/18
to cytoscape...@googlegroups.com
Please find the screenshot. Thanks.

Best regards,
Imran

       wrote:

                 Issue was resolved when running the following
         versions of software: Cytoscape 3.6.0, StringApp 1.2.1 and Java
         Runtime environment 8.

                 Excellent!  StringApp 1.2.1 was just released yesterday, so I'm glad
     to hear that it fixed your problem.

     -- scooter

         Den tirsdag den 12. december 2017 kl. 10.49.16 UTC+1 skrev
         Andreas Wrona:
                    I have the exact same problem. Would love a
             solution to this issue!

Capture.PNG

Scooter Morris

Jan 4, 2018, 11:08:35 AM1/4/18
to cytoscape...@googlegroups.com, Imran Mohammad
Got it.  I suspect that one of your apps is causing problems.  The easiest way to figure out which one is to go to the App Manager, (Apps->App Manager) and then "disable" all of the extra apps you have loaded.  One of those apps is listening for a NetworkViewAdded and then trying to create a column that already exists.  You could also run Cytoscape from the shell and (hopefully) that backtrace will give us a clue which app.

-- scooter
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cytoscape-helpd...@googlegroups.com.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/cytoscape-helpdesk.

imn....@gmail.com

Jan 4, 2018, 11:21:52 AM1/4/18
to cytoscape-helpdesk
Thanks a lot. The issues is resolved now.

Best regards,
Imran
>        send an email to cytoscape-helpd...@googlegroups.com.

>        Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/cytoscape-helpdesk.

Akshay

Jan 20, 2018, 7:21:35 PM1/20/18
to cytoscape-helpdesk
Hi Imran!

I have also same problem. How did you solve your issue?

Thanks!

Akshay

Scooter Morris

Jan 21, 2018, 12:10:59 AM1/21/18
to cytoscape...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
    There was a recent change to the string web site that is causing
problems with the app.  We hope to have a new version out very soon that
will fix things.

-- scooter

akbi...@gmail.com

Jan 21, 2018, 1:14:33 PM1/21/18
to cytoscape-helpdesk
Thank you Scooter!

Please update here when the new version arrives!

Regards,
Akshay

akbi...@gmail.com

Jan 21, 2018, 2:42:54 PM1/21/18
to cytoscape-helpdesk
Hi Scooter,

Why does the Cytoscape show error messages on start up? Cytoscape is unable to detect its set up (.props) files. I have observed that its .props files are located in a different folder <C:\Users\user>. Is the address for these files corrupted in cytoscape settings and can I fix it?

Please help!

Akshay

ksivap...@tgen.org

Feb 8, 2018, 4:19:45 PM2/8/18
to cytoscape-helpdesk
Can I know when the update will happen? is there any other way to get the network created? I have around 3000 genes and the website is not able to handle this.

--

*This electronic message is intended to be for the use only of the named
recipient, and may contain information that is confidential or privileged,

Scooter Morris

Feb 8, 2018, 4:49:52 PM2/8/18
to cytoscape...@googlegroups.com
The update has already happened.  It required Cytoscape 3.6, however,
which is why you weren't offered an update.  There is a remaining
problem with protein queries with over 2000 terms that will be fixed in
the next release.

-- scooter

ksivap...@tgen.org

Feb 8, 2018, 4:56:43 PM2/8/18
to cytoscape-helpdesk
Thank you for the quick response. I really appreciate.
So, with respect to handling 3000 proteins, what would your suggestion be other than waiting for the next release, since I am on a serious time crunch.

Scooter Morris

Feb 8, 2018, 4:59:49 PM2/8/18
On 02/08/2018 01:56 PM, ksivap...@tgen.org wrote:
> Thank you for the quick response. I really appreciate.
> So, with respect to handling 3000 proteins, what would your suggestion be other than waiting for the next release, since I am on a serious time crunch.

No, there is a workaround.  Break you list up into two lists of 1500
proteins each.  Then query String for each group, but set the confidence
cutoff to 1.0.  This will retrieve only the nodes. Merge the two
resulting networks (or copy-paste from one network into the other).  Now
you have all 3000 nodes into a single network, but no edges.  Then
change the confidence cutoff from 1.0 to 0.8 or whatever you want.  This
will fetch all of the edges.

-- scooter

ksivap...@tgen.org

Feb 8, 2018, 5:02:35 PM2/8/18
to cytoscape-helpdesk
Thanks a lot. I am going to try this right away.

ksivap...@tgen.org

Feb 8, 2018, 5:53:07 PM2/8/18
to cytoscape-helpdesk
It worked like charm. Thank you once again for the timely help.