finding protein interactions of one gene

Bonnie Blalock

Nov 29, 2016, 1:53:12 PM11/29/16
to cytoscape-helpdesk
I would like to create a protein interaction map or examine connections to one particular protein.  From reading user manual it seems I go to file, import, network, public databases?  Is this correct?  When I enter the particular gene I am interested in (vitelline membrane outer layer protein 1, Vmo1) and search I get several database outputs.  But when I click import it wants me to merge networks and I am not sure this is what I want.  Do you know how I would look up the interactions of one particular gene in mouse?

Thanks you very much.

Scooter Morris

Nov 29, 2016, 2:23:20 PM11/29/16
to cytoscape...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bonnie,
    Did you select one of the databases or multiple databases?  If you selected multiple, then it has to merge them together to get your output.  An alternative is to use the stringApp and load your interactions from STRING.  It has the advantage that it's species-specific.

-- scooter

On 11/29/2016 10:53 AM, Bonnie Blalock wrote:
I would like to create a protein interaction map or examine connections to one particular protein.  From reading user manual it seems I go to file, import, network, public databases?  Is this correct?  When I enter the particular gene I am interested in (vitelline membrane outer layer protein 1, Vmo1) and search I get several database outputs.  But when I click import it wants me to merge networks and I am not sure this is what I want.  Do you know how I would look up the interactions of one particular gene in mouse?

Thanks you very much.

Bonnie Blalock

Nov 30, 2016, 7:35:58 PM11/30/16
to cytoscape...@googlegroups.com
Hi Scooter,

Thank you for the help! I was able to look at the different interactions through string.

Thanks again,

Bonnie

On Tuesday, November 29, 2016, Scooter Morris <sco...@cgl.ucsf.edu> wrote:
[...]

Scooter Morris