Difference between cytoscape hierarchical layout and yFiles hierarchical layout

rt...@nyu.edu

Aug 16, 2016, 10:30:21 AM8/16/16
to cytoscape-helpdesk
I could see two hierarchical layouts in cytoscape layouts:  hierarchical layout and yFiles hierarchical layout. Both layouts order my network nodes differently. I seem to like yFiles hierarchical layout more as my root nodes are on top of the network. Can somebody explain to me what is the difference between the two.

Many thanks,
Rtut

Scooter Morris

Aug 18, 2016, 10:20:57 AM8/18/16
to cytoscape-helpdesk
yFiles is a commercial package that was licensed in the very early days of the Cytoscape project.  We don't know the internals, so we really couldn't tell you much about the algorithmic differences between the two.

-- scooter