Advice wanted for setting up a cytoscape model

Jef Van Alsenoy

Jul 7, 2016, 8:44:10 AM7/7/16
to cytoscape-helpdesk
Dear Cytoscape community,

I'm looking for some general advice and hints on setting up a Cytoscape model/network for my master's thesis in Ecology. If necessary, I'm willing to compensate someone who can assist me throughout the process.

I have no Cytoscape experience whatsoever and I'm working towards a deadline next month, so basically I want to avoid approaching the modeling the wrong way and having to do double work.
Browsing the internet for software that models networks I stumbled upon Cytoscape and by the looks of it it will do exactly what I need it to do.

This is the background: I'm improving a model that estimates and maps Ecosystem Services across Flanders. The model consists of many different GIS layers that interact (they're multiplied, extracted, multiplied by fixed values etc.) according to functions found in literature to create output GIS layers that depict Ecosystem service delivery geographically. My goal is to set up a simple model that represents this network of layers. I want to be able to depict this model graphically and calculate some parameters from graph theory, for example I want to determine the most connected and thus most central layers and to be able to predict how inaccuracies in this layer propagate through the model and lead to inaccuracies in output layers.

I plan to build this model based on a set of schemes of connected layers for each modeled ecosystem service.

This work seems pretty straightforward, I just want to avoid novice pitfalls and double work.

All help would be appreciated, also references to good tutorials that get me up and running quickly.

Thank you in advance!

Jef Van Alsenoy

srikanth bezawada

Jul 7, 2016, 10:12:20 AM7/7/16
to cytoscape...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jef,

I can give it a try helping you. Get familiar yourself with the software by playing around with it. Here is the documentation needed [1]  for you as a Cytoscape user.

Thanks,
Srikanth.B.

Jef Van Alsenoy

Jul 12, 2016, 10:52:52 AM7/12/16
to cytoscape-helpdesk
Hi Srikanth,

Sorry for getting back to you so late. I was busy on the GIS-work for the project. As soon as I can I'll dig into the tutorial you posted. Is it okay if I ask you some question when I start working on the model? It looks like you can handle the software pretty well, given that you're writing apps for it!

Looking forward to making this work!

Thank you,

Jef

Op donderdag 7 juli 2016 16:12:20 UTC+2 schreef Srikanth:

Thanks,
Srikanth.B.

srikanth bezawada

Jul 18, 2016, 7:31:12 AM7/18/16
to cytoscape...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jef,

You are welcome. Message me.

Thanks,
Srikanth.B.

Thanks,
Srikanth.B.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/cytoscape-helpdesk.

Jef Van Alsenoy

Jul 20, 2016, 5:00:49 AM7/20/16
to cytoscape...@googlegroups.com
Hi Srikanth,

I decided to switch to Gephi to model the network. Thank you for your advice in any case.

Regards,

Jef