Pure Cython Physics Engine for Games

austin aigbe

Sep 28, 2016, 1:36:53 PM9/28/16
to cython-users
Hello,

Is it possible to write a physics engine from scratch using Cython? No SWIG or wrappers around Box2d or Chipmunk.

The only imported C/C++ libraries should be OpenGL or DirectX

Is Cython well suited for this type of project?

Thanks

Robert Bradshaw

Sep 28, 2016, 1:39:18 PM9/28/16
to cython...@googlegroups.com
Yes, Cython's certainly suited for that project. In fact, if your goal
is as stated, I might say it's ideal.
> --
>
> ---

austin aigbe

Sep 28, 2016, 2:46:34 PM9/28/16
to cython-users
Thanks.
Message has been deleted

Robert Bradshaw

Sep 30, 2016, 12:05:01 PM9/30/16
to cython...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 4:27 PM, Enjoys Math <enjoy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why on Earth do we need another physics engine for games?
>
> Why not
> something that helps physicists solve problems, for example.
>
> The world is not short of new problems. It is just short of people that
> care about solving them.

Maybe none of them are suitable for the task at hand? Aren't
extending/extendable in certain ways that are valuable exploring?
Maybe it's a homework assignment? Or maybe just for the fun/challenge
of it.

It really doesn't matter. The question was can I, not should I, and I
don't think any of us have enough context to judge the latter. But
more importantly, let's try to keep the tone of this mailing list
friendly and welcoming.

Thanks,
Robert

Enjoys Math

Oct 1, 2016, 4:36:14 AM10/1/16
to cython-users
You are absolutely right.  My bad!

William Stein

Oct 1, 2016, 8:27:54 AM10/1/16
to cython-users
This reminds me a bit of Soya3D which was a game engine in Pyrex (predecessor of Cython) and was maybe the biggest
Pyrex project (before sage).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soya3D