installing cython with python3.2

afylot

Mar 23, 2015, 3:26:17 PM3/23/15
to cython...@googlegroups.com
I was installing cython 0.22 from the tarball (python setup.py install --prefix=my/prefix), compiling with gcc.
I got an error:

gcc -pthread -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -g -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Wformat-security -Werror=format-security -fPIC -I/usr/include/python3.2mu -c /home/afylot/downloads/Cython-0.22/Cython/Plex/Scanners.c -o build/temp.linux-x86_64-3.2/home/afylot/downloads/Cython-0.22/Cython/Plex/Scanners.o

/home/afylot/downloads/Cython-0.22/Cython/Plex/Scanners.c:308:1: error: unknown type name ‘Py_UNICODE’

and many other errors that seems all related to Py_UNICODE.

/usr/include/python3.2mu  seems to be the directory where the definition of py_unicode should be, and I have looked into that with fgrep, and it looks like there is no definition of py_unicode, there is just one file called pyconfig.h. I have already installed cython 0.22 with python 2.7 with no problem, and in fact in the corresponding include directory for python 2.7 there is the definition for py_unicode, and there are a lot of files .h, other than pyconfig.h.

I don't understand if this is a bug in cython or if my installation of python 3.2 lacks something. I haven't installed python3.2 myself, so what should I tell to the computer manager to fix this?

Stefan Behnel

Mar 23, 2015, 3:34:03 PM3/23/15
to cython...@googlegroups.com
There should be a development package of CPython 3.2 that you need to
install, called something like "python3.2-dev". It contains the rest of the
CPython header files and what else you need in order to compile and link
software against it.

Stefan

afylot

Mar 23, 2015, 3:43:40 PM3/23/15
to cython...@googlegroups.com, stef...@behnel.de
I am not root, can I install this or do I need my system manager to do this for me?