Is there a non open source version of Cython?

Ssst

Aug 6, 2016, 1:22:33 AM8/6/16
to cython-users
Hello,

Is there a non open source version of Python? And could you please give the link ?

Thanks

Ian Bell

Aug 6, 2016, 2:30:09 AM8/6/16
to cython...@googlegroups.com

1) Why would you want that in the first place?  Cython's license allows you to do basically whatever you want with the generated code.   I've used it for commercial and open-source applications.
2) No.

--

---

Denis Akhiyarov

Chris Barker

Aug 8, 2016, 4:53:27 PM8/8/16
to cython-users
On Sat, Aug 6, 2016 at 8:43 AM, Denis Akhiyarov <denis.a...@gmail.com> wrote:
according to sqlite author, some companies in some countries cannot use public domain / open source software and rather purchase a license. also avoids dealing with lawyers for commercial apps.

IIRC, SQLITE is public domain, which is actually VERY different than a proper open source license. Cython's license may be fine.

And you'll be dead in the water with the entire Python ecosystem if you can't use open source, so you might as well give up.

Oh, and with Linux, and for that matter OS-X -- lot's of Open Source in there -- I doubt even Windows in Open Source free.

(and SQLITE is used in an enormous number of applications as well)

-CHB

On Saturday, August 6, 2016 at 1:30:09 AM UTC-5, Ian Bell wrote:

1) Why would you want that in the first place?  Cython's license allows you to do basically whatever you want with the generated code.   I've used it for commercial and open-source applications.
2) No.

On Aug 5, 2016 11:22 PM, "Ssst" <sandra.dj...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

Is there a non open source version of Python? And could you please give the link ?

Thanks

--

---

---

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris....@noaa.gov

Robert Bradshaw

Aug 9, 2016, 2:30:39 PM8/9/16
to cython...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Aug 8, 2016 at 1:52 PM, Chris Barker <chris....@noaa.gov> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 6, 2016 at 8:43 AM, Denis Akhiyarov <denis.a...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> according to sqlite author, some companies in some countries cannot use
>> public domain / open source software and rather purchase a license. also
>> avoids dealing with lawyers for commercial apps.
>

> IIRC, SQLITE is public domain, which is actually VERY different than a
> proper open source license. Cython's license may be fine.
>
> And you'll be dead in the water with the entire Python ecosystem if you
> can't use open source, so you might as well give up.

+1. Every Python interpreter I know of is open source. And it's hard
to imagine a prohibition against using emacs to develop your software,
or git/svn/mercurial for revision control, or even use of such basic
tools as sed and grep due to there open nature.

Using Cython to write software taints it no more than your choice of editor. [1]

If you want to distribute Cython itself (not just its input and/or
output, and not just as a dependency) then you'll note it's
distributed under the Apache 2.0 license [2] which allows quite a lot.
As contributors don't sign their copyright over to any single party,
changing this isn't really an option.

[1] https://github.com/cython/cython/blob/master/COPYING.txt
[2] https://github.com/cython/cython/blob/master/LICENSE.txt

Denis Akhiyarov

Aug 10, 2016, 2:12:45 AM8/10/16
to cython-users
Anaconda (Continuum), Canopy (Enthought), and ActivePython (ActiveState) provide commercial version of Python distributions with Cython which include support and open-source software legal indemnification. So apparently there is demand for this kind of distributions.

--

---

Robert Bradshaw

Aug 10, 2016, 11:35:32 PM8/10/16
to cython...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 11:49 AM, Denis Akhiyarov
<denis.a...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anaconda (Continuum), Canopy (Enthought), and ActivePython (ActiveState)
> provide commercial version of Python distributions with Cython which include
> support and open-source software legal indemnification. So apparently there
> is demand for this kind of distributions.

Yes, I think it's great one can make a business out of this.
Commercial != closed source.