.pxd packages

Jeroen Demeyer

Oct 11, 2016, 5:26:24 AM10/11/16
to sage-packaging, cython-users
Hello,

SageMath contains a lot of .pxd files containing declarations for
various mathematical libraries (GMP, FLINT, GSL, NTL, PARI, ...)

It would probably make sense to split these as separate packages such
that other Cython projects could benefit from them.

Are there objections to doing that? Anything I should look out for? Does
anybody know existing packages like that, which are just a bunch of .pxd
files?

Jeroen.

Björn Dahlgren

Oct 11, 2016, 6:43:05 AM10/11/16
to cython-users, sage-pa...@googlegroups.com

On Tuesday, 11 October 2016 11:26:24 UTC+2, Jeroen Demeyer wrote:
Hello,

SageMath contains a lot of .pxd files containing declarations for
various mathematical libraries (GMP, FLINT, GSL, NTL, PARI, ...)

Just wanted to applaud the effort, I've written my own (duplicate) wrappers more than once because Sage is
not realistic to have as an upstream dependency for any library that only needs some .pxd files.

Best,
Björn

Erik Bray

Oct 11, 2016, 10:41:12 AM10/11/16
to sage-pa...@googlegroups.com, cython-users
On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 12:55 PM, Ximin Luo <infi...@pwned.gg> wrote:
> Jeroen Demeyer:
> Could it be feasible to persuade those projects to accept and maintain the .pxd files themselves? They could then make sure the API is uniform across different languages. They could hide this feature behind a configure flag or something, if they don't want to burden "most users" with an extra build dependency.

I agree that would certainly be ideal, if their maintainers can be
convinced to maintain it. And that's a big if.

Other than that, it sounds like a great idea!

Erik