ImportError: undefined symbol

a.valen...@gmail.com

Apr 25, 2015, 5:40:34 AM4/25/15
to cython...@googlegroups.com
Hi list,
a user of the pyepr package [1] reported an issue related the an installation problem [2].
When the package is installed via pip the user gets an import error due to missing symbols in the python extesion generated by cython.
The issue has been reported to happen with python 2.6 (on CentOS Linux) and python 2.7 (on OSX).
Please note that the source tarball available via PyPI [3] also includes cython pre-geneated .c source of the extension module.
After a few tests I realized that removing the bundled .c source and re-generating it with a local installation of cython fixes the issue.

This feels a little strange to me.
Is is a known issue?
Hints?

[1] https://github.com/avalentino/pyepr
[2] https://github.com/avalentino/pyepr/issues/11
[3] https://pypi.python.org/packages/source/p/pyepr/pyepr-0.9.2.tar.gz#md5=18d5e73acaa1cef408de0b1614b7a186

best regards

--
Antonio Valentino

Stefan Behnel

Apr 25, 2015, 6:07:15 AM4/25/15
to cython...@googlegroups.com
I can't spot anything wrong at first sight, but if rebuilding with a newer
Cython version makes the problem go away, then that sounds like a simple
enough fix.

The MacOS problem mentioned in the ticket seems unrelated, BTW.

Stefan

a.valen...@gmail.com

Apr 25, 2015, 6:55:17 AM4/25/15
to cython...@googlegroups.com, stef...@behnel.de
Hi Stefan,

The originan extension source was generated with a rather new cython version (0.20.2)
I repeated the test generating a new tarball with an updated cython generated extension source (epr.c).
Cython version in this case was 0.22 (tha lates available in anaconda for python 2.6).

Then i removed cython itself and performed a new installation with pip

$ pip install dist/pyepr-0.9.2.tar.gz

In short the problem seems to be related to the presence of cython at installation time.

Now I'm investigating my setup.py that has been radically changed in latest versions

cheers

--
Antonio Valentino