PEP 526 and PEP 523 effect on Cython

Big Stone

Sep 4, 2016, 11:21:21 AM9/4/16
to cython-users
Hi all,

Is Cython going to get benefit from coming PEP 526 (Syntax for Variable Annotations) or PEP 523 (Adding a frame evaluation API to CPython) ?

Stefan Behnel

Sep 4, 2016, 3:04:08 PM9/4/16
to cython...@googlegroups.com
Big Stone schrieb am 04.09.2016 um 17:21:
> Is Cython going to get benefit from coming PEP 526 (Syntax for Variable
> Annotations)

I sat together with a couple of PyCharm developers at the EuroPython
sprints this year and they got me convinced that Cython could use the PEP
484 type annotation syntax for its own type declarations. Meaning, users
could try to sneak their Cython type declarations into a syntax that Python
(and other tools) could parse without understanding the semantics of it.
It's still unclear how complete this would be, so in the worst case, it
could still turn out to be not usable at all, but that remains to be seen.

However, if you are asking for actual benefits then no, I don't see any.

> or PEP 523 (Adding a frame evaluation API to CPython) ?

I'm not aware of any benefits here, either. Cython already goes way beyond
that and implements its own function type.

Stefan