Cython 0.25 alpha0

Robert Bradshaw

Sep 25, 2016, 12:48:17 AM9/25/16
to cython...@googlegroups.com, Core developer mailing list of the Cython compiler
Please download and test the upcoming release of Cython:

https://github.com/cython/cython/archive/0.25a0.tar.gz

This is not the final release (more pull requests and bug fixes may
still go in) but a lot has changed since the last release so it'd be
good to get feedback early.

https://github.com/cython/cython/blob/master/CHANGES.rst

Thanks,
Robert

Robert Bradshaw

Sep 25, 2016, 1:13:28 AM9/25/16
to cython...@googlegroups.com, Core developer mailing list of the Cython compiler
This prerelease version is also available at PyPi

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/Cython/0.25a0

installable via

pip install --pre cython

Matthew Brett

Sep 25, 2016, 2:05:45 AM9/25/16
On Sat, Sep 24, 2016 at 10:12 PM, Robert Bradshaw <robe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This prerelease version is also available at PyPi
>
> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/Cython/0.25a0
>
> installable via
>
> pip install --pre cython

It looks like the new BUILD file is breaking wheel builds on OSX and Windows:

https://ci.appveyor.com/project/matthew-brett/cython-wheels/build/1.0.20/job/eu6n2eyc07a33ojl
https://travis-ci.org/MacPython/cython-wheels/jobs/162527865#L235

Can it be renamed?

Cheers,

Matthew

Robert Bradshaw

Sep 25, 2016, 3:14:16 AM9/25/16
to cython...@googlegroups.com
No, I don't think it can be renamed. Is there an option to rename the
build directory?

Matthew Brett

Sep 25, 2016, 3:17:16 AM9/25/16
to cython...@googlegroups.com
I don't know of one off the top of my head, or from a quick Google
search. Oh dear ...

Matthew

Matthew Brett

Sep 25, 2016, 2:29:24 PM9/25/16
to cython...@googlegroups.com
Exploring further - not surprisingly, the BUILD file breaks in-source
Cython builds (pip install . ; pip install -e .) - on OSX and Windows.

I worked round that by deleting the BUILD file before the wheel build,
but there's a new Windows build problem:

https://ci.appveyor.com/project/matthew-brett/cython-wheels/build/job/y6w1wd1hmuui6fsl

C:\projects\cython-wheels\Cython\Cython\Runtime\refnanny.c(5558) :
error C2036: 'void *' : unknown size

Matthew

Joshua

Sep 25, 2016, 8:29:13 PM9/25/16
to cython-users, cython...@python.org
I can confirm the BUILD issue on OSX mentioned by Matthew. I ended up running `mv BUILD{,.bak}` to get cython to compile.

Also 0.25a0 still suffers from the regression reported in this issue:

I'd be thrilled if a fix could make it into the 0.25 release since I'm effectively stuck at 0.22.1 due to the combination of this bug and another regression that was fixed in 0.24.

Thanks again for all of the hard work the Cython devs put into this project.

Josh

Alexey Buluy

Sep 26, 2016, 4:46:43 AM9/26/16
to cython-users, cython...@python.org

Who is this smart guy who decided to release this version into the open without proper testing?
Now all packages in pip which use Cython are failing to install:

sudo pip install cassandra-driver==2.7.2
Downloading/unpacking cassandra-driver==2.7.2
  Running setup.py egg_info for package cassandra-driver
    Unable to find pgen, not compiling formal grammar.
    Compiling /tmp/easy_install-AEclgi/Cython-0.25a0/Cython/Plex/Scanners.py because it changed.
    Compiling /tmp/easy_install-AEclgi/Cython-0.25a0/Cython/Plex/Actions.py because it changed.
    Compiling /tmp/easy_install-AEclgi/Cython-0.25a0/Cython/Compiler/Lexicon.py because it changed.
    Compiling /tmp/easy_install-AEclgi/Cython-0.25a0/Cython/Compiler/Scanning.py because it changed.
    Compiling /tmp/easy_install-AEclgi/Cython-0.25a0/Cython/Compiler/Parsing.py because it changed.
    Compiling /tmp/easy_install-AEclgi/Cython-0.25a0/Cython/Compiler/Visitor.py because it changed.
    Compiling /tmp/easy_install-AEclgi/Cython-0.25a0/Cython/Compiler/FlowControl.py because it changed.
    Compiling /tmp/easy_install-AEclgi/Cython-0.25a0/Cython/Compiler/Code.py because it changed.
    Compiling /tmp/easy_install-AEclgi/Cython-0.25a0/Cython/Tempita/_tempita.py because it changed.
    [1/9] Cythonizing /tmp/easy_install-AEclgi/Cython-0.25a0/Cython/Compiler/Code.py
    [2/9] Cythonizing /tmp/easy_install-AEclgi/Cython-0.25a0/Cython/Compiler/FlowControl.py
    [3/9] Cythonizing /tmp/easy_install-AEclgi/Cython-0.25a0/Cython/Compiler/Lexicon.py
    [4/9] Cythonizing /tmp/easy_install-AEclgi/Cython-0.25a0/Cython/Compiler/Parsing.py
    [5/9] Cythonizing /tmp/easy_install-AEclgi/Cython-0.25a0/Cython/Compiler/Scanning.py
    [6/9] Cythonizing /tmp/easy_install-AEclgi/Cython-0.25a0/Cython/Compiler/Visitor.py
    [7/9] Cythonizing /tmp/easy_install-AEclgi/Cython-0.25a0/Cython/Plex/Actions.py
    [8/9] Cythonizing /tmp/easy_install-AEclgi/Cython-0.25a0/Cython/Plex/Scanners.py
    [9/9] Cythonizing /tmp/easy_install-AEclgi/Cython-0.25a0/Cython/Tempita/_tempita.py
    warning: no files found matching '*.pyx' under directory 'Cython/Debugger/Tests'
    warning: no files found matching '*.pxd' under directory 'Cython/Debugger/Tests'
    warning: no files found matching '*.h' under directory 'Cython/Debugger/Tests'
    warning: no files found matching '*.pxd' under directory 'Cython/Utility'
    gcc: error: /tmp/easy_install-AEclgi/Cython-0.25a0/Cython/Runtime/refnanny.c: No such file or directory
    gcc: fatal error: no input files
    compilation terminated.

Anybody knows how to fix this?

Stefan Behnel

Sep 26, 2016, 5:12:54 AM9/26/16
to cython...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alexey,

welcome on this mailing list and thank you for your report.

Alexey Buluy schrieb am 26.09.2016 um 10:42:
> Who is this smart guy who decided to release this version into the open
> without proper testing?

You might be referring to Robert, who also happens to be one of the smart
guys who brought Cython to you in the first place. For free, by the way, in
case that isn't obvious, and without warrenties, as stated in the licence.
The announced release is an alpha version, which means that we kindly ask
for testing and explicitly expect there to be bugs and a yet incomplete
feature set. See the announcement.

> Now all packages in pip which use Cython are failing to install:

That is unfortunate, but most likely not as broad a problem as you suggest.
Did you try updating pip before using it?

pip install -U pip

pip has only somewhat recently gained some features that widen the
applicability of PyPI for pre-releases.

> sudo pip install cassandra-driver==2.7.2

You seem to be running pip globally, whereas most people would try it from
a venv these days. That might make a difference as well.
>> * gcc: error:
>> /tmp/easy_install-AEclgi/Cython-0.25a0/Cython/Runtime/refnanny.c: No such
>> file or directory*
>> * gcc: fatal error: no input files*
>> compilation terminated.

Thanks for reporting this. There seems to be something wrong with the
refnanny module here. It didn't get compiled, according to your log above.

Stefan

Daπid

Sep 26, 2016, 5:13:22 AM9/26/16
to cython...@googlegroups.com, Cython-devel
On 26 September 2016 at 10:42, Alexey Buluy <kamika...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Who is this smart guy who decided to release this version into the open
> without proper testing?
> Now all packages in pip which use Cython are failing to install:

You are using an alpha version, released for testing. Unless you
explicitly request it, you'll get the properly tested old version.

Please, tone down, the cython devs are doing an amazing job without
being paid for it. And file a bug report.

Björn Dahlgren

Sep 26, 2016, 9:35:14 AM9/26/16
On Sunday, 25 September 2016 06:48:17 UTC+2, Robert Bradshaw wrote:
Please download and test the upcoming release of Cython:

https://github.com/cython/cython/archive/0.25a0.tar.gz

Just wanted to let you know that I tried with two of my most Cython intensive projects and all tests passed.
Thank you for your continued work on Cython!

Best regards,
Björn

Michael Barrientos

Sep 26, 2016, 11:32:17 AM9/26/16
to cython-users, cython...@python.org
0.25a0 seems to be getting installed during the build of xmlsec when running pip install xmlsec (using latest pip), even despite it not specifically requesting the alpha version. This is probably a python-xmlsec bug (even though their last release was in July before 0.25a0 was released), but this release is causing problems outside of those who have specifically requested the alpha.

https://github.com/mehcode/python-xmlsec/issues/31

Matthew Brett

Sep 26, 2016, 1:01:39 PM9/26/16
to cython...@googlegroups.com, Core developer mailing list of the Cython compiler
Hi,
That's odd - have you set up pip to fetch ``--pre`` packages by
default somehow? When I do a pip install on my machine, I get the
stable release. The pre-releases, like this one, are precisely to
shake out problems before the stable releases.

What do you get for a plain:

pip install cython

Best,

Matthew

Matthew Brett

Sep 26, 2016, 1:05:53 PM9/26/16
to cython...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stefan,
I don't suppose you have the ear of the Bazel developers? Can they
be persuaded to look for something like BAZELBUILD first?

Best,

Matthew

Antony Lee

Sep 26, 2016, 1:12:38 PM9/26/16
to cython...@googlegroups.com
I am having a similar issue with Cython 0.25a0 getting installed during, and breaking, the Travis build of scikit-sparse:

Cython is listed as a setup_requires:

Antony

--

---

Matthew Brett

Sep 26, 2016, 1:17:38 PM9/26/16
to cython...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 10:12 AM, Antony Lee <anton...@berkeley.edu> wrote:
> I am having a similar issue with Cython 0.25a0 getting installed during, and
> breaking, the Travis build of scikit-sparse:
> https://travis-ci.org/scikit-sparse/scikit-sparse/jobs/162803846
>
> Cython is listed as a setup_requires:
> https://github.com/scikit-sparse/scikit-sparse/blob/master/setup.py#L52

Aha ! That's what the problem is - easy_install picks up the alpha
version. Ouch!

I've just uploaded manylinux and OSX wheels, so at least Cython won't
have to build any more.

But for now, and to be safe, maybe install Cython in a previous build step?

Cheers,

Matthew

Matthew Brett

Sep 26, 2016, 1:19:42 PM9/26/16
to cython...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 10:16 AM, Matthew Brett <matthe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 10:12 AM, Antony Lee <anton...@berkeley.edu> wrote:
>> I am having a similar issue with Cython 0.25a0 getting installed during, and
>> breaking, the Travis build of scikit-sparse:
>> https://travis-ci.org/scikit-sparse/scikit-sparse/jobs/162803846
>>
>> Cython is listed as a setup_requires:
>> https://github.com/scikit-sparse/scikit-sparse/blob/master/setup.py#L52
>
> Aha ! That's what the problem is - easy_install picks up the alpha
> version. Ouch!
>
> I've just uploaded manylinux and OSX wheels, so at least Cython won't
> have to build any more.

Sorry - I was being dumb - easy_install doesn't pick up wheels, so it
will still build.

Matthew

Robert Bradshaw

Sep 26, 2016, 7:50:36 PM9/26/16
to cython...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the bug report, and others for the support :).

As a quick fix, I have removed the alpha package from pypi to support
older package managers that don't understand prereleases. For now,
just clone/download the 0.25a0 tag from github.

I also filed https://github.com/bazelbuild/bazel/issues/1835, we'll
see where that goes. Another option is to monkey-patch distutils.
> --
>
> ---

Matthew Brett

Sep 27, 2016, 1:34:18 PM9/27/16
to cython...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 4:50 PM, Robert Bradshaw <robe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the bug report, and others for the support :).
>
> As a quick fix, I have removed the alpha package from pypi to support
> older package managers that don't understand prereleases. For now,
> just clone/download the 0.25a0 tag from github.
>
> I also filed https://github.com/bazelbuild/bazel/issues/1835, we'll
> see where that goes. Another option is to monkey-patch distutils.

Thanks for doing that.

Maybe it would be reasonable to remove the BUILD file until we've
worked out how to resolve the name clash?

Matthew

Robert Bradshaw

Sep 27, 2016, 1:37:06 PM9/27/16
to cython...@googlegroups.com
Keeping an eye on https://github.com/bazelbuild/bazel/issues/552 which is being worked on. We won't release until this is resolved (by them, or by moving the file).

Matthew Brett

Sep 27, 2016, 1:44:06 PM9/27/16
to cython...@googlegroups.com
Great.

Can I also suggest that whoever is doing the release either ping me to
set off a build of the wheels, or do it themselves, before the
release, to check everything is working? The procedure is at
https://github.com/MacPython/cython-wheels#triggering-a-build -
involves setting the version in a couple of text files and committing
to the repo.

Matthew

Robert Bradshaw

Sep 27, 2016, 1:50:50 PM9/27/16
to cython...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I'd be glad to do that (and thanks for the reminder).

Matthew

--

---

Chris Barker

Sep 28, 2016, 6:03:20 PM9/28/16
to cython-users
On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 10:16 AM, Matthew Brett <matthe...@gmail.com> wrote:
Aha !  That's what the problem is - easy_install picks up the alpha
version.  Ouch!

Death to easy_install! really -- we have GOT to stop using that abomination!

(and I know it's hard to avoid...)

sigh.

But for now, and to be safe, maybe install Cython in a previous build step?

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris....@noaa.gov

Hai Nguyen

Sep 28, 2016, 6:28:01 PM9/28/16
to cython-users, Core developer mailing list of the Cython compiler
Just tested with my project and worked fine. Cheers.

Hai