Relation Theory

Jon Awbrey

May 16, 2020, 7:36:12 AM5/16/20
to Cybernetic Communications, Ontolog Forum, Peirce List, Structural Modeling, SysSciWG
All,

A whole lot of links on my blog got broken when the InterSciWiki
at UC Irvine went off line, so I've been working on fixing those.

Here's a link to the updated version of my Survey page on Relation Theory,
collecting links to basic material on sign relations, triadic relations,
and finitary relations in general, plus links to the blog version of my
commentary on Peirce's 1870 “Logic of Relatives”.

Survey of Relation Theory • 4
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2020/05/15/survey-of-relation-theory-%e2%80%a2-4/

Regards,

Jon

inquiry into inquiry: https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/
academia: https://independent.academia.edu/JonAwbrey
oeiswiki: https://www.oeis.org/wiki/User:Jon_Awbrey
facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JonnyCache

Arthur Phillips

May 17, 2020, 4:09:27 PM5/17/20
to cyb...@googlegroups.com

Jon Awbrey

May 18, 2020, 3:20:16 PM5/18/20
to Cybernetic Communications, Ontolog Forum, Peirce List, Structural Modeling, SysSciWG
Cf: Relation Theory • Discussion 1
At: http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2020/05/18/relation-theory-%e2%80%a2-discussion-1/

Responding to what I'll abductively interpret as a plea for relevance
from the cybernetic galley, let me give a quick review of where we are
in this many-oared expedition.

Our reading of Ashby

(see Survey of Cybernetics
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2020/03/18/survey-of-cybernetics-%e2%80%a2-1/ )

veered off at a point

(see Selection 13
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2020/01/09/cybernetics-%e2%80%a2-requisite-variety-%e2%80%a2-selection-13/ )

where we needed to look more closely at the structures of
triadic relations and the ways in which pragmatic, semiotic,
and systems thinking all have triadic relations at their core.
As often happens, one side-trip leads to another, but I think our
excursions through sign relations, triadic relations, and relations
in general will prove useful in the long run as we get back to the
question of how signs bear information of use to intelligent systems
with a capacity for methodical scientific inquiry.

Regards,

Jon