Portland to Santa Cruz Bike Tour Questions

1 view

Chris san agustin

Aug 13, 2014, 12:15:53 PM8/13/14
to cwdisc...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone!

I am new to Portland and to Cycle Wild.

I am taking a last minute trip down to Santa Cruz next Thursday the 21st. I've only done a weekend bike camping trip so I am both excited and nervous to embark on this multi day trip. I'd consider myself a pretty strong cyclist. I ride 120 - 200 miles a week and absolutely love climbing. Really really love climbing.

The bicycle I will be using is a cross bike as I don't have a dedicated touring rig. I'll be outfitting it with a rear rack, panniers and a dry bag for a handlebar bag. So gonna try to keep it relatively light.

Any advice on this trip would be very appreciated! I've been scouring the internet and pulling its of info from here and there.

- How much food should I pack vs picking stuff up on the way?
- Will I need rain pants? I have a good rain jacket and booties.
- Two sets of cycling clothes?
- Bike security along the coast? I was going to bring a mini u lock and cable which may be over kill. But this is my only road bike and don't want to take chances. How safe are these campsites? Bring the bike with you when showering? etc?

Again any info would be so appreciated!

Cheers everyone