Midweek Camping: Cold Creek CG (Yacolt Burn SF), Tues 1 July-Wed 2 July

1 view

Shawn Granton

Jun 26, 2014, 4:31:47 PM6/26/14
to cwdisc...@googlegroups.com
Hey all, I'm going to be leading an informal midweek camping trip next week. This one is definitely an "advanced" level excursion, due to the distance/elevation change to be encountered, gravel roads, and campgrounds with lack of services.

This is a two day, one night trip, from Tuesday July 1 to Wednesday July 2. It would involve scraping the very west edge of Gifford Pinchot National Forest. The proposed campsite is Cold Creek in the Yacolt Burn State Forest (Washington Department of Natural Resources (DNR)), back-up locations would be Sunset campground in Gifford (USFS), or Rock Creek (Yacolt Burn SF-Wash DNR). The DNR stuff is free, you have to pay for Sunset (but Ron is there, of course.) Neither offer water (filter it!) or firewood (bring a hatchet), but they will both be rustic. And the East Fork Lewis River is the hidden gem of the area. It's not the Clackamas River, but still something to see.

The return on Wednesday will be via "the hard way" through Yacolt Burn State Forest into Camas. This routing uses some gravel, which may be rough, but this route is less steep than the mostly paved option. And we'd see the Washougal River on the return.

Going up to Cold Creek via Battle Ground means an easier day the first day to warm up, then the next day starts with about a 1,000 foot climb then a nice descent back down towards sea level.

Here is the proposed routing to Cold Creek.
And the proposed return routing.

Proposed departure on Tuesday is 10 am.

If you are interested in going, please get in touch with me to get full details.

yours,