Midweek Bike Camping: Ainsworth SP in the Gorge, Tuesday March 18

Shawn Granton

Mar 16, 2014, 1:03:24 AM3/16/14
to cwdisc...@googlegroups.com
OK, I've been threatening an overnight camping trip for a little bit, now it is time for action! I've got Tuesday and Wednesday off next week, and right now the weather looks to be decent, dry and highs in the upper 50s F. What better time than now? And Ainsworth State Park out in the Columbia Gorge has just opened for the season!

There are THREE options for departure for this one!

  1. Team Morning (10 am)
  2. Team Afternoon (3 pm)
  3. Team Whenever (whenever)
Whichever one you choose, please RSVP me to let me know if you are coming and if so, which departure option you are choosing.

Team Morning: Meet at the Cleveland Ave MAX Station (east end of the line for the Blue Line) at 10 am, Tuesday March 18. We’ll be departing from the station at 10:30 am. FOR THOSE OF YOU TAKING THE MAX OUT TO GRESHAM, we’ll wait for the Blue Line MAX  that arrives at 10:31 am. It leaves:
  • Pioneer Square at 9:40 am
  • Rose Quarter TC at 9:52 am
  • Hollywood TC at 9:59 am
  • Gateway TC at 10:06 am
Team Afternoon: Same details as above, but meeting at 3 pm and departing at 3:30 pm. MAX to get there on time leaves:

  • Pioneer Square at 2:39 pm
  • Rose Quarter TC at 2:52 pm
  • Hollywood TC at 2:56 pm
  • Gateway TC at 3:06 pm
Team Whenever: I feel this one is self-explanatory.

From there it's about 25 miles to Ainsworth. We'll stop at Women's Forum/Chanticleer Point, Vista House/Crown Point, Latourell Falls, Multnomah Falls, and other points if we want. As for supply options, we are NOT going to be stopping at a true grocery store or cafe on the way.  We WILL stop at the country store in Corbett, which will be the best "stock up" option. Crown Point/Vista House serves coffee and has a few snacks, and Multnomah Falls has a larger snack bar, espresso stand, and fancy sit-down restaurant.

We hope to get one or two of the "walk-in" campsites at Ainsworth. They are located on the left when entering. Sites are $13, divided up x ways.

A good overall route map can be found here:

Hope you can make it!
-Shawn

Shawn Granton

Mar 17, 2014, 4:27:00 PM3/17/14
to cwdisc...@googlegroups.com
Quick Update:

We've got six people going now, yay! If you were undecided about going because there may not be enough "cool" folk, well, now there are cool folk. ;-)

I got only one bite for Team Morning, but everyone else is interested in Team Afternoon. So, I'm dumping the "official" Morning departure, leaving later, and just riding from my house in NE with Nate. If you are interested in going in the AM, get in touch.

If you are going, please RSVP. Especially if you are one of those "hammock" people.

-Shawn