NOT a Cycle Wild Trip - Labor Day weekend to Coast via Nestucca River Road!

Alex Reed

Aug 4, 2015, 7:35:08 PM8/4/15
to Cwdiscussion
Hi folks!

A buddy and I are going to the Coast via Nestucca River Road - supposedly a low-traffic, curvy, gorgeous route to the Coast. This is NOT a Cycle Wild trip, but we'd love to have some folks join us! In Cycle Wild parlance, this would be an "Advanced" trip, but on the easy side of "Advanced." The main challenge will be lugging yourself and your rig over the Coast Range (about 3500 ft. of elevation gain on days 1 and 3). It is a straight out and back from Hillsboro MAX to Cape Lookout State Park over four days. I have a strong preference for low-traffic roads, so I have marked any known busy roads below.
Schedule
Friday, Sept. 4 - Leave noonish (not quite determined yet) from Hillsboro MAX, camp along Nestucca River Rd. (there are three BLM campgrounds) ~ 45 miles, 3500 ft. elevation gain.
 http://ridewithgps.com/routes/9574702 . There are three miles of unavoidable gravel somewhere along Nestucca River Rd and about three miles on a highway out of Hillsboro.
(Resupply - somewhere in Yamhill or Carlton?)

Saturday, Sept. 5 - Ride to Cape Lookout State Park. http://ridewithgps.com/routes/9574721 40 miles, 1800 ft. elevation gain
(Resupply - Sandlake Grocery?)
There are 3.5 miles of nigh-unavoidable busy Highway 101 riding.

Sunday, Sept. 6 - Ride back to camp on Nestucca River Rd. http://ridewithgps.com/routes/9574723 40 miles, 3300 ft. elevation gain
(Resupply - Sandlake Grocery?)
There are 3.5 miles of nigh-unavoidable busy Highway 101 riding.

Monday, Sept. 7 - Ride back to Hillsboro MAX
~45 miles, 2000 ft. elevation gain
(Stop @ Carlton Bakery?)
Same 3 miles of gravel and 3 miles of highway riding.

Email me if you're interested! If we get a big enough crew, I'd be stoked to split up into a more-gravel group and a less-gravel group....
--
Alex Reed