Feb 8-9 2014: Cabin Camping at Battle Ground Lake State Park

Shawn Granton

Jan 6, 2014, 1:52:38 PM1/6/14
to cwdisc...@googlegroups.com
For our February overnight camping trip, we'll be traversing the wilds of Clark County, Washington to head to the cabins at Battle Ground Lake State Park!

The ride will leave Portland on Saturday, February 8th. We'll ride about 25 miles (40 km) to Battle Ground Lake, using a mix of shoulderless rural roads with low traffic, bike lanes, bike routes through residential neighborhoods, and bike paths. There will be a few small hills that can be steep for short distances, but nothing major.Cycle Wild classifies this as an "Easy" route, but for those who haven't ridden a bike in a while or less experienced with distance riding, it's more on the "Moderate" side of things. Remember there are a couple hills and some busy stretches.

The route from Cascades MAX to Battle Ground Lake: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1435630

We'll be "camping" in Battle Ground Lake's rustic cabins! Cabins feature electric light, heat, and power outlets. Each cabin sleeps five, three in the bunk bed (one on the top, two on the bottom bunk) and two on the foldout futon. (Couples get priority, but singles may end up sharing a bed depending on how it all works out.) All you need to bring is bedding: sleeping bag and "pillow". If you choose to cook, you'll need to bring your own stove. (Please note: cooking is NOT allowed in the cabin, but you can cook on the picnic table in front of the cabin.)

There are showers. As with any Washington State Park campgrounds that has a shower, they require quarters. Bring about $2.50 in quarters with you if you like long showers.

Meet at Cascade Station MAX Stop (Red Line) at 10am Saturday morning (Feb 8). We leave the MAX station at 10:30am. Estimated riding time to the park is 3 hours, plus a 30-45 minute stop at Safeway in east Vancouver to grab food for the trip. (There is also other restaurant options in the Safeway plaza, including a Burgerville.)

We'll return to Portland during the day on Sunday February 10. It's become customary for some riders to stop in the town of Battle Ground and have lunch at the Laurelwood Brewery.

If you want to come on this trip, please READ CAREFULLY:
  • We have reserved all four cabins. At five people per cabin, this means the maximum attendance for the trip is twenty (20) people. We will have a waiting list if we go over.
  • We are "charging" up front for this trip. Please keep in mind the fees collected are towards the cost of cabin plus reservation and processing fees. Cycle Wild is NOT charging to make a profit.
  • The fee per person will be $20, plus the $1.49 service fee for Eventbrite. Please note this is an estimation, the per person fee can be as low as $16. If it is, we will refund the difference at the campground. You can waive this refund (if there is one), though you can't get the $1.49 Eventbrite fee refunded. Any waived refund funds count as a donation to Cycle Wild's Reservation Fund.
  • Please notify the organizer ASAP if you need to cancel. If there is anyone on the waiting list, they will be contacted in the order they signed up and will be given 48 hours to pay for a spot on the trip. After the 48 hours the open spot will go to the next person on the list. If no one on the waiting list takes your spot, you must find another person to take your place in order to get refunded.
  • If you cancel and there is no waiting list, you must find another person to take your place in order to get refunded.
  • No refunds for no shows.
Please sign up via Eventbrite. You must pay in full to sign up. You can ask us questions via the comments below, but don't ask us to "save you a spot".

Sign up over here:

Please let us know if you have any questions. But please note that all signing up for this trip has to go through Eventbrite, please don't ask us to "save you a spot".

yours,
Shawn

Shawn Granton

Jan 7, 2014, 4:11:47 PM1/7/14
to cwdisc...@googlegroups.com
Well, that was fast. Battle Ground Lake is FULL! In just a day we filled up the twenty available spots.

If you are still interested in going, despair not! There is a WAITING LIST on our Eventbrite page.

Please sign up on the waiting list if you are interested. If you sign up for the waiting list and a spot becomes available due to a cancellation, you will be notified and will have 48 hours to register and pay to secure a spot.

Christopher Chen

Jan 7, 2014, 4:39:58 PM1/7/14
to cwdisc...@googlegroups.com
Mazel Tov!

"I want the kind of six pack you can't drink." -- Micah