Milo McIver overnight trip, May 11-12

Erinne Goodell

Apr 19, 2013, 5:58:36 PM4/19/13
to cwdisc...@googlegroups.com
Hi friends!

Our next Cycle Wild trip takes us to Milo McIver State Park, located on the Clackamas River by lovely Estacada, Oregon. Milo McIver has miles of hiking paths, swimming in the Clackamas (if it's warm enough or you're brave enough), and a couple of awesome disc golf courses.

Excited already? Register here! http://cycle-wild-milo-mciver.eventbrite.com/

This is considered an "easy" trip, and we are encouraging families to join us. There will probably also be a friendly dog or two on this trip!

The ride will leave the Cleveland Avenue Max station at 10:30 on Saturday, May 11. Please be aware that trailers and cargo bikes aren't allowed on the MAX, and getting to the start point might require extra riding if you will be using a non-standard bike. The Springwater Corridor Trail brings you to only a few blocks from the starting point.

We'll ride on the Springwater Corridor until Boring, then down Amisigger Road to Clackamas Hwy/OR-224, which takes us straight into Estacada. This highway has a good amount of traffic, but the section we will be riding it has very wide, smooth shoulders. We'll have a grocery stop at the Estacada Thriftway before riding the last mile or two into camp. The one-way trip distance is around 21 miles.

Our route is here: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1136173

We have reserved the group camp at Milo McIver, so we have lots of space. We ARE requiring preregistration, but we are not taking money in advance. Cost will depend on number of attendees, and we are estimating it will cost less than $10 per person to camp. Firewood is $5 per bundle, so please plan to pitch in a couple dollars for that, as well. Campers are responsible for their own food. If you plan to cook, please bring a stove. Potable water, restrooms and showers are available at the camp.

Please register here: http://cycle-wild-milo-mciver.eventbrite.com/

If you have questions about the trip, what to bring, how to get to the starting point, please contact me. More details will come out closer to the trip.

Hope you can join us!

Peace, Erinne

Andrew Varner

Apr 21, 2013, 9:54:44 PM4/21/13
to cwdisc...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

I plan on making this my first group ride. Really looking forward to it.

I happened to be by River Lake Road in Estacada yesterday so we took a scouting run as far as we could go with the car. I noticed it turns to dirt with a lot of potholes.

Here's my question. I've got 1.25 inch pure slicks on 26 inch rims, and I've only ridden on pavement with them. What kind of experiences have you guys had with slicks on dirt? Is that common? Not a big deal for the small amount we'll be riding?

Thanks!

Andrew

Erinne Goodell

Apr 22, 2013, 12:33:18 PM4/22/13
to cwdisc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew,

Great to hear you'll be coming on the trip!

The last leg of the trip is on gravel, yes. That lets us avoid climbing up and over a big hill. But it is only a couple of miles. Last time I went out there, it was very rideable. The most dangerous part was avoiding being chased by or hitting a group of yappy dogs.

I have ridden on gravel with slicks before--much more than a few miles, actually. With 1.25" tires, I don't think you shouldn't have much difficulty.

Peace, Erinne

Andrew

Maria Schur

Apr 22, 2013, 12:57:19 PM4/22/13
to cwdisc...@googlegroups.com
Hey peeps,

I rode on gravel yesterday and got chased by a dog.  Got bit by one later in the day!

But, Andrew,, your question was about tires.  Your slicks should do fine on off road.  I've found it's the width more than the tread that the matters in gravel scenarios.  Having a lot of tread will be kinda sucky on pavement anyway.

M.

Andrew Varner

Apr 22, 2013, 1:24:16 PM4/22/13
to cwdisc...@googlegroups.com
Ok, cool. I appreciate the feedback.

Now I just need to make my gear list so I'm sufficiently overpacked for my first newbie trip. Can't show up with the correct amount of gear for my first overnight. I think that's in the Biker's Code or something.

Andrew

Maria Schur

Apr 22, 2013, 1:34:04 PM4/22/13
to cwdisc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew,

I've had success with loaded touring by:

1) making a list, modifying it with every trip and re-using it
2) weighing my packed panniers (I shoot for 30 lbs total)

M.

Erinne Goodell

Apr 22, 2013, 1:43:52 PM4/22/13
to cwdisc...@googlegroups.com
I still overpack for most trips. Make sure your rack, bags and legs can handle what you pack. And remember that we do have a food stop a couple miles before the park, so save yourself from carrying food the whole trip.

Peace, Erinne

Andrew Kreps

Apr 29, 2013, 7:53:11 PM4/29/13
to cwdisc...@googlegroups.com
If anyone's interested in riding to the ride, I'll be meeting some folks at Woodlawn Coffee around 8am on May 11 to roll towards Gresham via Marine Dr.  If you want to join, drop me a line.

Tomas Quinones

Apr 30, 2013, 11:41:56 PM4/30/13
to cwdisc...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. I can't make it, I have to work at the shop.

Tomas Quinones
Freelance Illustrator

Andrew Varner

May 8, 2013, 10:44:20 AM5/8/13
to cwdisc...@googlegroups.com
A couple more questions:

One, what time does the group typically roll out for the return trip? Or is it more of a "whenever the group feels like it" kind of thing?

Two, are we returning by the same route, or is it using the route that ends up at the Clackamas Mall?

Thanks!

Erinne Goodell

May 8, 2013, 12:29:17 PM5/8/13
to cwdisc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew,

I will be sending out a reminder e-mail to folks signed up later today with a lot of good info, but in answer to your specific questions:

Usually the group splits up quite a bit for the ride home. There are almost always some folks interested in getting a really early start, while others want to take more time. Often, the ride leader is one of the last to leave, and we'll definitely make sure that everyone has either left by then or feels comfortable riding back on their own.

My plan is to go back the way we go out. There is a hill to climb on Amisigger, but then most of the rest of the ride is on the Springwater. I find that much more pleasant than riding on Hwy 224, even though it is flatter. I will also provide the cue sheet for the other way in the reminder, though, for folks who want to go back the other way.

See you Saturday!

Peace, Erinne

Andrew Kreps

May 9, 2013, 2:51:25 PM5/9/13
to cwdisc...@googlegroups.com
Hey all, I wanted to let you know that I won't be making the ride this weekend after all.  Feel free to use the route file if you like, but don't meet me at Woodlawn coffee because I won't be there.  :)  Enjoy the weekend!