Anyone interested in bike camping Oct. 4-5?

Alex Reed

Sep 20, 2014, 7:03:51 PM9/20/14
to cwdisc...@googlegroups.com
Hi all!

I have the weekend of Oct. 4-5 free and my husband has to work! Anyone want to go on a fall bike camping trip?

Here's a possible itinerary to Scaponia County Park, although I'm definitely open to other things to suit others' preferences:
Day 1:
Day 2:

Day 1 is shorter in distance, but has most of the climbing & dirt.

P.S. I see Cycle Wild has visited Scaponia before. Any reviews / tips?

Best,
Alex

Shawn Granton

Sep 21, 2014, 1:36:35 PM9/21/14
to cwdisc...@googlegroups.com
From what I remember (I wasn't on the particular trip), Cycle Wild never went to Scaponia. The day was a bit too wet, so everyone decided to stay in Vernonia instead. If you do go to Scaponia, be prepared to filter/haul in water, there's been water issues in the past. And the campground is pretty close to the road, too.
-Shawn

Maria Schur

Sep 21, 2014, 8:00:23 PM9/21/14
to cwdisc...@googlegroups.com
How about Camp Wilkerson up on Apiary? So gorgeous. Easy climb up. Opens an option to come down Clatskanie way for those craving more miles..
There's water at Big Eddy, nearby to Scaponia, but it's also near the road.
Happy trails!
Maria

Alex Reed

Sep 21, 2014, 8:10:24 PM9/21/14
to cwdisc...@googlegroups.com
Ooh, Camp Wilkerson looks like a great location, not too much further than Scaponia (I personally am OK with more miles, but want to, well, have someone come so am trying to keep it pretty approachable) . And, from the looks of http://www.portlandoregon.gov/transportation/36638?a=318160 , beautiful roads in all directions

And thanks for the info, Shawn!

Alex
Alex Reed

Shawn Granton

Sep 21, 2014, 8:16:35 PM9/21/14
to cwdisc...@googlegroups.com
No worries, Alex.

And Alex, this person you are bringing, are they a camping newbie? If so, I'd go for maybe Stub Stewart instead, or Ainsworth in the Gorge. It's nice to give someone who hasn't camped or camped much before a great ride, a great destination, or both. Scaponia ain't it.

Were you also intending on using the Crown-Zellerbach Trail?

-Shawn

Alex Reed

Sep 21, 2014, 8:23:01 PM9/21/14
to cwdisc...@googlegroups.com
Hey, I guess I phrased that awkwardly! I actually don't have anyone coming yet (sadly few bike-camping friends) but was hoping to recruit someones from this list or elsewhere! I thought that an easy-moderate ride would be more attractive to people, but maybe that's not the case.

Huh, we may have different definitions of a great ride. The HCRH seems like it would be busy and unpleasant to me relative to forgotten roads in the coast range foothills and the Banks-Vernonia trail. But I haven't actually biked either so what do I know? :-)

Sent from my mobile device

Shawn Granton

Sep 21, 2014, 8:34:03 PM9/21/14
to cwdisc...@googlegroups.com
The HCRH is at best moderately busy on a weekend, but once you get beyond Corbett, it's all tourist traffic, meaning everyone is doing the same thing you'd be doing: stopping at every waterfall and viewpoint. And it's highly scenic. The roads in the Coast Range would be quieter, and depending how you approach it, more challenging.

If you went out to Scaponia from Hillsboro MAX (Hatfield), you'd be looking at 40 miles of riding. From Cleveland Ave MAX in Gresham to Ainsworth State Park, 25 miles. Sunset on Saturday October 4 is 6:45 pm.

Just looked at your Day One itinerary. That route could be very rough and might require GPS to figure out. I've never gone that way, but someone like Ed may have knowledge. In any case, that's probably a pretty advanced route option, something not to be taken lightly, but could be very rewarding. If you want to work for it!

-Shawn

edward...@gmail.com

Sep 22, 2014, 4:29:09 AM9/22/14
to cwdisc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,

Yes your day 1 route is not possible. Dairy creek has a landslide after fern flat.

Instead as Shawn mentioned crown zellerbach is remote, scenic, passable, and also on a rail grade. You'll still want to use a gps. It becomes columbia forest road. Return to 47 from cokumbia forest at the intersection of 47 and scapoose vernonia unless you feel like walking your bike. Also dont travel logging roads without a friend.

Ed

Sep 30, 2014, 5:35:57 PM9/30/14
to cwdisc...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ed! I'm going bike camping this weekend at Champoeg with a work buddy (paved roads only). Leaving Friday at around 3pm from downtown, getting back sometime Saturday. Probably a winery in our Saturday future. If anyone wants to come, call me at 240-888-1349!

Alex

On 09/20/2014 04:03 PM, Alex Reed wrote:
Hi all!

I have the weekend of Oct. 4-5 free and my husband has to work! Anyone
want to go on a fall bike camping trip?

Here's a possible itinerary to Scaponia County Park, although I'm
definitely open to other things to suit others' preferences:
Day 1:
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6064439
Day 2:
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6064454