Ainsworth question(s)

Maria Schur

Apr 2, 2014, 6:33:17 PM4/2/14
to cwdisc...@googlegroups.com
Hello Cycle Wilders!

I'm helping plan a tour for the Portland Society over September 6-7-8 and have not personally camped at Ainsworth before.  The website says "first come first serve" and I couldn't find any info about a hiker/biker.

Any wisdom to share about how I can assure we get a spot?  Or any other tips about Ainsworth?

We're hoping to make it a three day so we can ride out on day one, explore the bike path to Cascade Locks on day two and ride home on day three.

Thanks!

Maria

Shawn Granton

Apr 2, 2014, 6:51:02 PM4/2/14
to cwdisc...@googlegroups.com
Hello Maria-

Indeed. It is first come/first served. There are six "walk-in" campsites in the wooded area, which have been the preferred Cycle Wild camping spot. But there's no way to guarantee that one of the six walk-in sites will be available if you show up on a weekend night.

Right now there is no official hiker/biker spot at Ainsworth, though that is in the works and hopefully we'll see it soon.

But I will tell you there is an "unofficial" hiker/biker spot at Ainsworth, the grassy spot between the two bathrooms. I've camped there even when there was other available space, and the rangers I've talked to there have been cool with it.

One thing to note about with Ainsworth: besides hearing I-84 you will hear train noise as the campground is scant yards from the UP mainline. It's not as bad as Viento, but it can bother some. Earplugs are a good idea.

-Shawn

Chris Chen

Apr 2, 2014, 6:52:38 PM4/2/14
to cwdisc...@googlegroups.com
If you remember to ask, I do a good impression of what it sounds like when the freights roll past the campground.
--
"I want the kind of six pack you can't drink." -- Micah

Andy Schmidt

Apr 2, 2014, 7:37:07 PM4/2/14
to cwdisc...@googlegroups.com
The thing about the grassy spot Shawn mentions… if you catch them on the right day, the rangers will let you run through the sprinklers in your underwear… https://flic.kr/p/fg7Xcg. It's refreshing after a long, hot ride.