CVX OPT for Python2.6 on Windows 7 64 bt platform

Mahesh Bailakanavar

Sep 2, 2010, 11:26:54 PM9/2/10
to cvx...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I’m trying to download the CVXOPT software to solve an optimization problem.

I tried to install using the windows msi installer.

However the installer indicated that Python 2.6 is not installed. I guess the msi installer is meant for win x32 platforms only.

 Then downloaded the tar.gz file. When I executed setup.py install, I got the following error – “unable to find vcvarsall.bat”

I would appreciate your help in resolving the problem.

Regards

Mahesh

Joachim Dahl

Sep 3, 2010, 1:56:40 AM9/3/10
to cvx...@googlegroups.com
there are many posts on the CVXOPT about difficulties compiling the
package under Windows.
You will probably have the best chances using MinGW. Compiling
BLAS/LAPACK is not
trivial under Windows either. These difficulties are not restricted
to CVXOPT; most Python
extension modules are difficult to compile on Windows.

Mahesh Bailakanavar

Sep 3, 2010, 9:04:37 AM9/3/10
to cvx...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Thanks for the prompt response. I missed some important inputs in my last
email.

I have previously installed CVXOPT on Windows 32 bit platform without much
difficulties.

This time I'm trying to install CVXOPT on a Windows 64 bit platform.

My question is - "Can you install CVXOPT on Windows 64 bit platform either
through the msi installer or from source?"

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Mahesh Bailakanavar

Joachim Dahl

Sep 3, 2010, 9:11:11 AM9/3/10
to cvx...@googlegroups.com
The binary installer is only for Windows 32 bit. Compiling the source
for 64bit Python should be possible using MinGW 64bit, but that has
never been tried. Compiling CVXOPT for Python 32 bit using MinGW 32 bit
can be tedious because of typical headaches with BLAS/LAPACK, etc.

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 3:04 PM, Mahesh Bailakanavar

Dima Pasechnik

Sep 4, 2010, 7:05:41 AM9/4/10
to CVXOPT
AFAIK, Cygwin works on 64-bit Windows.
So there would be LAPACK/BLAS available, too, and I don't see why this
can't be done (I don't have such a beast available, so I can't try)

Dima

Sheleem

Sep 14, 2010, 5:17:27 AM9/14/10
to CVXOPT
Hi, is it possible to use cvxopt with 64bit python?

Sheleem
> > > For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/cvxopt?hl=en.- Hide quoted text -

Dima Pasechnik

Sep 15, 2010, 4:04:23 AM9/15/10
to CVXOPT

On Sep 14, 5:17 pm, Sheleem <shele...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, is it possible to use cvxopt with 64bit python?

IMHO yes, on 64-bit Linux, say...

Jeremy Guan

Feb 29, 2016, 11:52:08 PM2/29/16
to CVXOPT, mahesh...@gmail.com
Hi, I don't know whether you have solve this problem, but i encounter the same jam. I tried the tutorial in http://cvxopt.org/install/index.html#building-cvxopt-for-windows, but i failed in win64.
I finally solved this problem with "cvxopt-1.1.7+openblas-cp27-none-win_amd64.whl" in "http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/#cvxopt".

在 2010年9月3日星期五 UTC+8上午11:26:54,Mahesh Bailakanavar写道: