Solving cubic objective with linear constraints in cvxopt

Mi Sch

Aug 14, 2017, 4:44:54 PM8/14/17
to CVXOPT
Dear all,

does anybody know if it is possible to solve a minimization problem with a cubic convex obective function and linear constraints in cvxopt?
I checked the tutorials at the webpage, but I didn't find an example with a polynomial convex objective. Is it possible to transform it in another kind of problem (SOCP or semidefinite programming)?

The obj looks like the picture that i attached, there only is one more linear constraint in my case.

Thanks!

Best,
Michel

Joachim Dahl

Aug 14, 2017, 5:20:32 PM8/14/17
to cvx...@googlegroups.com
That can be solved as an SOCP.  You have to do the reformulation by hand as shown in the book by Ben-Tal and Nemerovski,  or Boyd and Vandenberghe.

You can also use a modeling framework like cvxpy, which makes it alot easier.

Mi Sch

Joachim Dahl

Aug 21, 2017, 10:42:39 AM8/21/17
to cvx...@googlegroups.com
There are similar examples in the MOSEK documentation: