CUSP + eclipse 3.5 +clbuild version of sbcl +java 1.6

Harag

Sep 25, 2009, 9:59:39 AM9/25/09
to Cusp Development
Has any body tried this combination I have not been able to get this
combination working? Or has any body got a ful set of in structions to
get cusp to work without using the supplied sbcl version?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Timothy Jasko

Sep 25, 2009, 4:08:28 PM9/25/09
to cusp-dev...@googlegroups.com
Using a different version of sbcl probably isn't going to work, unless
you're running Cusp from source. Newer versions of sbcl are often
incompatible with previous versions of slime, and changes often need
to be made to Cusp to keep everything in sync.

Gorsal

Sep 25, 2009, 9:00:38 PM9/25/09
to Cusp Development
You could simply download the zip file in the google group files

ejasko.tim.lisp_1.0.414.zip
delete the plugin in your eclipse plugin directory and then copy the
jasko.tim.lisp file. Then restart and magical things should happen.

Gorsal

Sep 25, 2009, 9:02:17 PM9/25/09
to Cusp Development
Oh, and make sure to delete the jasko feature folder in the features
folder of eclipse. Or you can try that second if things don't work. It
would probably actually be best if you first uninstalled the current
version of cusp via eclipse gui. Anyways...

Harag

Sep 28, 2009, 3:52:17 AM9/28/09
to Cusp Development
Well there is still no magic just swank time outs.

I need to specify a sbcl.core file how would I accomplish this?

Gorsal

Oct 1, 2009, 11:49:16 AM10/1/09
to Cusp Development
I've had this problem before. The problem is that cusp doesn't look
for the core and assumes it will automatically be found if one starts
sbcl.exe.
So, for example, if you open the command prompt and go to the
directory containing sbcl and type sbcl.exe, if everything is ok, it
should start. I've also had problems with multiple sbcls installed. If
the Environment Path pointed to sbcl 1.0.28 core file but i attempted
to run 1.0.29, it threw me into the debugger. The easiest way i found
to fix this (on windows) was simply to uninstall the current sbcl and
then use the automated installer on the sbcl website.

By the way, what platform are you on? What version are you using?

Gorsal

Oct 1, 2009, 11:53:01 AM10/1/09
to Cusp Development
Oh, and Im not sure how, but there is some way to add the sbcl core
file to your environmental path. This would be the solution, but
reinstalling is easier. Except i don't know if there is an automatic
installer on your platform. I know there is one on windows, though.

Phil Marneweck

Oct 5, 2009, 7:28:19 AM10/5/09
to cusp-dev...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I am running Ubuntu 9.04 (64) (Linux).

I have set my ENVIRONMENT variable for the core file and have tested
that sbcl uses it to start up from command line.

####

phil@scatha:~$ /home/phil/lisp/clbuild/target/bin/sbcl
This is SBCL 1.0.25.56, an implementation of ANSI Common Lisp.
More information about SBCL is available at <http://www.sbcl.org/>.

SBCL is free software, provided as is, with absolutely no warranty.
It is mostly in the public domain; some portions are provided under
BSD-style licenses. See the CREDITS and COPYING files in the
distribution for more information.
* sb-ext:*core-pathname*

#P"/home/phil/lisp/clbuild/target/lib/sbcl/sbcl.core"
* (quit)
phil@scatha:~$
####

I am still getting time outs. Here follows the error shown in eclipse:

eclipse.buildId=I20090611-1540
java.version=1.6.0_16
java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
BootLoader constants: OS=linux, ARCH=x86_64, WS=gtk, NL=en_ZA
Command-line arguments: -os linux -ws gtk -arch x86_64

Warning
Mon Oct 05 13:08:03 SAST 2009
While loading class "jasko.tim.lisp.swank.LispNode", thread
"Thread[Secondary Swank Listener,6,main]" timed out waiting (5000ms) for
thread "Thread[main,6,main]" to finish starting bundle
"jasko.tim.lisp_1.0.414 [190]". To avoid deadlock, thread
"Thread[Secondary Swank Listener,6,main]" is proceeding but
"jasko.tim.lisp.swank.LispNode" may not be fully initialized.

org.osgi.framework.BundleException: State change in progress for bundle
"reference:file:plugins/jasko.tim.lisp_1.0.414/" by thread "main".
at
org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.AbstractBundle.beginStateChange(AbstractBundle.java:1073)
at
org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.AbstractBundle.start(AbstractBundle.java:278)
at
org.eclipse.osgi.framework.util.SecureAction.start(SecureAction.java:408)
at
org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseLazyStarter.postFindLocalClass(EclipseLazyStarter.java:111)
at
org.eclipse.osgi.baseadaptor.loader.ClasspathManager.findLocalClass(ClasspathManager.java:449)
at
org.eclipse.osgi.internal.baseadaptor.DefaultClassLoader.findLocalClass(DefaultClassLoader.java:211)
at
org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findLocalClass(BundleLoader.java:376)
at
org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClassInternal(BundleLoader.java:452)
at
org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader.java:405)
at
org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader.java:393)
at
org.eclipse.osgi.internal.baseadaptor.DefaultClassLoader.loadClass(DefaultClassLoader.java:105)
at jasko.tim.lisp.swank.SwankInterface
$DisplayListenerThread.run(SwankInterface.java:1899)
Caused by: org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.AbstractBundle
$BundleStatusException
... 14 more
Root exception:
[...]

Should I have a startup file as well with swank details or somthing like
that?

Gorsal

Oct 5, 2009, 2:54:03 PM10/5/09
to Cusp Development
Nah. This appears to be a bug in the code changes i have made. I'll
get onto it, as I have access to a linux computer.

Gorsal

Oct 5, 2009, 3:04:43 PM10/5/09
to Cusp Development
Quick question before i try to learn linux command prompts (i.e.
installing sbcl). Is sbcl also on the path environment? just try to
run sbcl in any
directory except the one it is installed in. If it can't find sbcl,
then that might cause the problem. If you want, you can simply place
sbcl into the jasko folder in the plugins and rename it 'sbcl'.
Also, does the graphical interface for the lisp plugin show up with
big red errors in the repl, etc, or does the repl say 'couldn't start
swank.'
Or does the gui not even show? Just open a new workbench and open up
lisp perspective for the first time.

Phil Marneweck

Oct 5, 2009, 3:37:56 PM10/5/09
to cusp-dev...@googlegroups.com
Well not sure I am understanding your first question I would expect that
cusp is running the SBCL that I specified in the preferences menu. It is
definately starting up an instance of SBCL I can see it in the running
processes.

And that is where the assumption bites back... I did some more checking
and the sbcl that cusp is opening is not using the SBCL_HOME enviroment
setting to open the core, it is trying to open the default core. Could
this be because SBCL is not started from a commandline so the
environment is ignored ...is the environment not part of the shell in
linux (I not a linux fundy...yet)?

After all this I am still not sure if cusp actually uses the specified
sbcl from the preferences menu.

The repl has the following to say (in simple black):

Cusp was unable to connect to your lisp instance. Please try restarting
Eclipse.

I get exactly the same error when opening a Lisp perspective for the
first time.

I have a stupid question at this time...is it not easier to just allow
the specification of options for the sbcl executeable?

Thanx for the help so far.

Phil Marneweck

Oct 5, 2009, 3:48:02 PM10/5/09
to cusp-dev...@googlegroups.com
Figured out your first question, yes sbcl is in the path because the
default sbcl is in /usr/bin/ and that is in the path. You can run it
form any directory but if you use that version of sbcl it crashes
because the HOME_SBCL environment says look for a different core and the
two are incompatible.

Phil Marneweck

Oct 5, 2009, 4:27:18 PM10/5/09
to cusp-dev...@googlegroups.com
Ok more feed back I put sbcl in the jasko-tim directory and cleared my
preferences and now cusp plays along...well the repl works I have not
tried to do anything else yet.

I would however appreciate it if you could still have a look at the
problem of specifying your own version of sbcl with its own core. I work
of multiple machines and having to copy the sbcl file around after every
new build and setting environment variables every where is going to be a
pain.