Interviews with Kalki Koechlin, Uttam Gada; The NCPA Centrestage Festival; Ila Arun's PEER GHANI and other updates

1 view

Mumbai Theatre Guide

Nov 27, 2015, 11:25:24 AM11/27/15
to curtain-c...@googlegroups.com
If you are unable to view the mail click here.

English | Hindi | Marathi | Gujarati | News | Features | Reviews | Workshops | Gupshup | Auditorium

Dear Reader,

As the NCPA Centrestage Festival gets underway, we feature Kalki Koechlin's interview. The actress who has worked in theatre, film and television is set to premiere her stage directorial debut THE LIVING ROOM at the festival this weekend. In our interview with her, she talks about the play, which she has also written, and about what theatre means to her.

We also feature Uttam Gada's interview based on his play WHATSUP? which is also part of the festival showcase this weekend. The play has been directed by Manoj Shah. It features actor Chirag Vora in a solo performance. Uttam bhai is a senior writer in Gujarati theatre and has written screenplays too for Hindi films.

Other upcoming plays at the festival include Kopal Theatre's SHARAD JOSHI EXPRESS; Motley's PARINDON KI MEHFIL, a stage adaptation of the poem 'Conference of the Birds'; Taleem's SPANDAN; FATS' production titled 7/07/07; Jhoom's ISHQ AAHA and others.

Watch our homepage for more interviews with select writers participating in the festival. Vikram Phukan's THE GENTLEMEN'S CLUB and Ramu Ramanathan's AMBU AND RAJALAKSHMI will be showcased at the festival next weekend.

In collaboration with the festival, we have also organised our eNatya Chaupal programme with director Shubhrajyoti Barat and his actors who will talk of their production THE SONG OF THE SWAN. eNatya Chaupal is our unique web hangout for all things theatre. You can follow the event online in real time and can even view it later too.

At Prithvi Theatre this weekend you can watch PEER GHANI - Ila Arun's adaptation of Henrik Ibsen's PEER GYNT, directed by KK Raina.

We have been regularly listing previews of new plays, which include several Marathi plays too. If you would like your play and your theatre group to be featured on our website, do write to us.

Cheers,
Deepa Punjani
Editor, Mumbai Theatre Guide

For any queries, suggestions, feedback, please mail us at:
resp...@mumbaitheatreguide.com or at deepa....@gmail.com
or simply call us at: 91.22.40169979/80/81, 91.9223251148

If you are interested in featuring your Theatre Group on our site, please let us know. We would like to give our readers access to all the information that they may want vis-a-vis the Mumbai theatre scene.
UNFAITHFULLY YOURS (English):
UNFAITHFULLY YOURS follows the relationship between Akash and Preet, a couple that is happily married...
7/7/07 (English):
Little did 19 year old Rayhaneh Jabbari know what her life would be like for the next 7 years...
PEER GHANI (Hindi):
The story of PEER GHANI is set in the Kashmir of the 1980s where the young Pir lives with his mother Asse...
KANUPRIYA (Hindi):
Radha and Krishna have always been a subject of interest for artistes. Dharamveer Bharati's Radha is very different...
GUNU BHAI E GAAM GAJAVYU (Gujarati):
Gunu bhai Soni is frustrated with his wife's and son's mobile phone and Internet addiction...
WHATSUP? (Gujarati):
Jagdish Pandya is constantly nagged by his wife and son that he has not achieved anything in life...
SAHI RE SAHI (Marathi):
This is a comedy with a moral. Madan Sukhatme, an industrialist catches his second wife red-handed with her lover...
SHRI BAEE SAMARTH (MARATHI):
When college sweethearts, Pitamber and Madhuvati tied the knot - it seemed like 'and they lived happily...
Kalki Koechlin: Theatre is community. Learning to co-exist, take and feed off each other. The process of theatre is so much about understanding the other person on stage, reacting to the other person. It is a lot about give and take. It is almost like a life lesson, that's why I keep coming back to it...

Uttam Gada: As the title suggests, the play will attract a lot of eyeballs from the younger generation. Not only that, the protagonist is a young person. He plans to go abroad...
To find out about Theatre Workshops that have been registered on our website visit -

http://www.mumbaitheatreguide.com/dramas/workshop/

Our upcoming eNatya Chaupal - In focus: Director Shubhrajyoti Barat and his play SONG OF THE SWAN...

The 6th edition of Centrestage, organised by the National Centre for the Performing Arts (NCPA) in association with the Vinod and Saryu Doshi Foundation...

"Lighting is not about function. It's much more about the mood and the emotion that the playwright and the director are trying to create. Our job is to support their poetic direction." - Jules Fisher

mumbaitheatreguide.com
222, Kuber Complex, Opp. SAB TV, New Link Road, Andheri (West), Mumbai - 400053. INDIA.
Tel No: 91.22.40169979/80/81 Email: resp...@mumbaitheatreguide.com

If you wish to unsubscribe to this newsletter, please Click Here