''To live the time given to us'': Gauri Lankesh cannot be forgotten | The Ibsen Theatre Festival by Ila Arun | Interview with Ira Dubey | The Magnets By AGP World | The Nehru Theatre Festival

Mumbai Theatre Guide

Sep 15, 2017, 11:17:11 AM9/15/17
to curtain-c...@googlegroups.com
If you are unable to view the mail click here.

mumbaitheatreguide Twitter Facebook
Friday, 15 September 2017

Dear Reader,

The highlights this week:

Ila Arun will showcase the 4th edition of her Ibsen Theatre Festival at G5A and at Prithvi Theatre. She will be staging three of her company's productions- PEER GHANI (PEER GYNT), PICCHA KARTI PARCHHAIYAN (GHOSTS), MAREECHIKA (LADY OF THE SEA) and A DOLL'S HOUSE, directed by Pushan Kripalani, featuring Joy Sengupta and Ira Dubey.

We speak to Ira Dubey in an extensive interview in which the actress talks about her solo performance in Heather Raffo's 9 PARTS OF DESIRE, of her background and interest in theatre, and of coming to terms with the passing of her father Ravi Dubey.

Ashwin Gidwani's company AGP World has been organising and hosting theatre, music and stand-up comedy shows from abroad. This time around they have got 'The Magnets', a cappaella group from London. This weekend you can watch them at The Royal Opera House and at the Rangsharda auditorium.

The Nehru Theatre Festival is going on and upcoming plays include Phiroze Antia's Parsi-Gujarati play BEHRAM NI SASOO, KARL MARX IN KALBADEVI, directed by Manoj Shah, Punjabi play DHULLA BHATTI by Gursharan Singh, Konkani-Marathi play VEDHARAN and Dr. Shankar Shesh's EK AUR DRONACHARYA.

In our last week's Newsletter we had stood up for the freedom of the Press and for our Fundamental Rights when we condemned Bangalore-based journalist Gauri Lankesh's cold-blooded murder and had highlighted the brutal incident among recent others that are being perpetuated in a climate of intolerance and hate. Moreover we expressed our concern for our theatre people who too find their freedom to express being stifled and censored in direct and subtle ways. I received varied responses, positive and negative, to my editorial. The negative feedback – a loop of polarising clichés – was only expected. But this only makes me reiterate my stand even more courageously. I do hope and urge us to find more collective, effective and sustained mechanisms as artistes and writers to address the deeply troubling scenarios of our time. To recall the famous playwright Dario Fo's words : We must know how to live the time given to us.

Best,
Deepa Punjani
Editor, Mumbai Theatre Guide

For any queries, suggestions, feedback, please mail us at:
resp...@mumbaitheatreguide.com or at deepa....@gmail.com
or simply call us at: 91.22.40169979/80/81, 91.9223251148

If you are interested in featuring your Theatre Group on our site, please let us know. We would like to give our readers access to all the information that they may want vis-a-vis the Mumbai theatre scene.

  Previews

 THE BUCKINGHAM SECRET (English):
Set against the stunning backdrop of Buckingham Palace, this play is about the British royal family...

 A DOLLS HOUSE (English):
It is the story of NORA, wife of TORVALD who considers her a prized possession, like a doll, to be played with & for entertainment only....

 RISHTA ELECTRONICS TAAR KA (Hindi):
Mr. Bhavesh Patel, has only one friend, that is computer, he has become a technology man...

 TRAFFIC (Hindi):
The blend of the system of our society and the people we live with forces us to keep quiet and walk away from any situation...

 DO RAHA (Hindi):
The play revolves around the Randhawas, an army family whose lives are turned upside down when they lose a son at war.

 MASTER BLASTER (Gujarati):
Amol Sir has the reputation of getting hundred percent results for his students but a challenge arises when a famous politician...

 KARL MARX IN KALBADEVI (Gujarati):
This quirkily titled play combines hard hitting information with humor, sharp politics and sheer delight, with the Gujarati manifesto of economics.

 9 KOTY 57 LAKH (Marathi):
Dilip Deokule is a simpleton, leading a routine life of a middle-class working professional...

 SHANTECHA KARTA CHALU AHE (Marathi):
The play SHANTECHA KARTA CHALU AHE was a big success on the Marathi stage when it was first produced...

  Theatre Gupshup
Ira Dubey: "I wanted to break the idea of 'Ira the actor', and really become the character. People know me. I've done a lot of work here...
  News
Multi-Lingual Reading Club by Gillo and Bright Sparks...

The Nehru Theatre Festival 2017...

The Ibsen Theatre Festival Is back in its 4th season...Festival Director Ila Arun talks about it...

   Theatre Workshops
To find out about Theatre Workshops that have been registered on our website visit -

http://www.mumbaitheatreguide.com/dramas/workshop/

"The worst illiterate is the political illiterate. He hears nothing, sees nothing, takes no part in political life. He doesn't seem to know that the cost of living, the price of beans, of flour, of rent, of medicines all depend on political decisions. He even prides himself on his political ignorance, sticks out his chest and says he hates politics. He doesn't know, the imbecile, that from his political non-participation comes the prostitute, the abandoned child, the robber and, worst of all, corrupt officials, the lackeys of exploitative multinational corporations." - Bertolt Brecht

mumbaitheatreguide.com
222, Kuber Complex, Opp. SAB TV, New Link Road, Andheri (West), Mumbai - 400053. INDIA.
Tel No: 91.22.40169979/80/81 Email: resp...@mumbaitheatreguide.com
If you wish to unsubscribe to this newsletter, please Click Here