State of threading within Cucumber JVM

seanleblanc

May 11, 2018, 5:46:51 PM5/11/18
to Cukes
I saw a rather longish thread about parallel execution of Cucumber tests (via threading within the same JVM) and how it wasn't supported. However, I also see some commits that are related to threading, and so I'm confused:

1. Has Cucumber JVM actually pulled in some changes that now allow for threading of tests?
2. If not, what is considered the best practice (besides the "don't do it" sentiment - I've seen that, and would like to benchmark threading anyway) for achieving threading of tests in the same JVM.

I see people choosing various strategies and various other plugins available, but I don't want to pick something that is now considered deprecated if there is a more mainstream solution now available.

MP Korstanje

May 12, 2018, 9:34:59 AM5/12/18
to Cukes
1. No. It has not. I know there is a PR that implements it but I can't say anything about it.

2. Personally I've been using: https://github.com/temyers/cucumber-jvm-parallel-plugin in combination with maven profiles to manage which tags get executed.

I don't really know what other people are using. It seems that there has been a minor explosion of work around and hacks - not a good thing in my opinion.