New experiment with community Slack

Matt Wynne

Jun 29, 2017, 10:29:21ā€ÆAM6/29/17
to Cukes
Hello everyone,

At our recent CukenFest conference in London, we tested out a new community chat forum using Slack. It seemed pretty popular, so we've decided to keep the trial going and roll it out a little further.

Slack has some advantages and disadvantages which mean I'd expect it to co-exist with this mailing list in the long term. However we do anticipate it having the potential to replaceĀ Gitter which has been quite a clunky experience for those of us trying to use it regularly.

Advantages of Slack:

- lots of us already use it for work, so it's convenient for quick discussions especially with or amongst OSS contributors
- nice friendly feel with emojis etc
- decent desktop and mobile app support
- ability to create lots of channels for different purposes

Disadvantages of Slack

- not everyone is allowed to access it from their work desktop browser (though you can probably still use the phone app)
- chat-based conversations only work if you're there at the time. Mailing list will still be better for in-depth discussions
- search within the tool isn't great, and only recent messages are archived
- conversations aren't visible to or indexed by search engines, so effectively invisible to future searches. More like IRC.

I'm keen to hear your feedback, so please head over to the sign-up: https://cucumberbdd-slack-invite.herokuapp.com/ and @mattwynne me once you get in!

cheers,
Matt

CEO, Cucumber Ltd
Author, The Cucumber Book
Lead, Cucumber-Ruby

Paolo Ambrosio

Jun 29, 2017, 4:13:29ā€ÆPM6/29/17
to cu...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 3:29 PM, Matt Wynne <ma...@cucumber.io> wrote:
Hello everyone,

At our recent CukenFest conference in London, we tested out a new community chat forum using Slack. It seemed pretty popular, so we've decided to keep the trial going and roll it out a little further.

Slack has some advantages and disadvantages which mean I'd expect it to co-exist with this mailing list in the long term. However we do anticipate it having the potential to replaceĀ Gitter which has been quite a clunky experience for those of us trying to use it regularly.

Very happy to hear that we are not going to have two chat systems :-)
Advantages of Slack:

- lots of us already use it for work, so it's convenient for quick discussions especially with or amongst OSS contributors
- nice friendly feel with emojis etc
- decent desktop and mobile app support
- ability to create lots of channels for different purposes

Another massive advantage: threads! Hopefully people will use them because on Gitter it was impossible to follow a conversation.

Disadvantages of Slack

- not everyone is allowed to access it from their work desktop browser (though you can probably still use the phone app)
- chat-based conversations only work if you're there at the time. Mailing list will still be better for in-depth discussions

:+1: (to use the Google Group for in-depth discussions)
- search within the tool isn't great, and only recent messages are archived
- conversations aren't visible to or indexed by search engines, so effectively invisible to future searches. More like IRC.

I'm keen to hear your feedback, so please head over to the sign-up: https://cucumberbdd-slack-invite.herokuapp.com/ and @mattwynne me once you get in!

cheers,
Matt

CEO, Cucumber Ltd
Author, The Cucumber Book
Lead, Cucumber-Ruby

The Cucumber logo is the intellectual property of Cucumber Ltd, a limited company registered in Scotland, number 456793.

UK Headquarters: Cucumber Ltd, Drumsyniebeg, Lochgoilhead, Cairndow, Argyll, PA24 8AN UK.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information in this e-mail is confidential and privileged; it is intended for use solely by the individual or entity named as the recipient hereof. Disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this e-mail by persons other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited and may violate applicable laws. If you have received this e-mail in error, please delete the original message and notify us by email immediately. Thank you. Cucumber Ltd.

---

Stephen Gates

Aug 2, 2017, 5:43:31ā€ÆAM8/2/17
to Cukes
I help run two communities and have been on a similar journey - email lists, Gitter, Slack. We landed on Discourse https://www.discourse.org

It seems to address the requirements expressed above and is worth a look.

80Vikram

Aug 2, 2017, 6:30:09ā€ÆAM8/2/17
to Cukes
+ 1 discourse.org

Appium is using it since last few years and it's more effective than google group.

Regards,
Vikram

Matt Wynne

Aug 11, 2017, 6:35:59ā€ÆPM8/11/17
to Cukes

On Wednesday, August 2, 2017 at 10:43:31 AM UTC+1, Stephen Gates wrote:
I help run two communities and have been on a similar journey - email lists, Gitter, Slack. We landed on Discourse Ā https://www.discourse.org

It seems to address the requirements expressed above and is worth a look.

Thanks for the experience Stephen. I did have a go a setting up discourse and got some of the way, but balked when it came to configuring it - too many options!

Would you be interested in helping set one up for this community?

Stephen Gates

Aug 11, 2017, 7:17:29ā€ÆPM8/11/17
to Cukes
Hi Matt,
I'm happy to help you set up a Discourse forum. Be aware Discourse is a paid serviceĀ https://payments.discourse.org/pricingĀ
I'm not associated with Discourse apart from using their services. Let me know if you'd like to proceed.

Matt Wynne

Aug 16, 2017, 7:54:53ā€ÆAM8/16/17
to Cukes
Thanks for the offer Stephen!

Stephen Gates

Aug 16, 2017, 8:11:12ā€ÆAM8/16/17
to cu...@googlegroups.com
Definitely an option. My communities didn't want to self-host but if you have the skills and hardware, it's a cheaper option.

Matt Wynne

Aug 17, 2017, 5:16:41ā€ÆPM8/17/17
to cu...@googlegroups.com
OK Iā€™ve set it up (hosted, Cucumber Ltd will foot the bill) and sent you and invite Stephen.

Iā€™d like to take a back seat at this point and let volunteers from the community organise testing and, if we like it, migrating across to the new platform.

Please let me know if people need more admin rights or whatever from me.