is there any difference between @before hook and Background

Vinoth Kannan

Jul 12, 2016, 12:42:48 AM7/12/16
to Cukes
is there any difference between @before hook and Background.

both of them executes before every scenario

Thanks in advance

Vinoth

Thomas Sundberg

Jul 12, 2016, 2:18:13 AM7/12/16
to cu...@googlegroups.com
On 12 July 2016 at 06:42, Vinoth Kannan <vinothk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> is there any difference between @before hook and Background.
>
> both of them executes before every scenario

You can have multiple @before methods and exeute them in a specific
order by setting their priority.

The background is localizeed to the current feature file. Try having
two different feature files and you will notice that the background is
only executed for the scenarios in the feature file where it is
defined.

HTH
Thomas

> Thanks in advance
>
> Vinoth
>
> --
> Posting rules: http://cukes.info/posting-rules.html
> ---

Thomas Sundberg
M. Sc. in Computer Science

Mobile: +46 70 767 33 15
Blog: http://www.thinkcode.se/blog
Twitter: @thomassundberg

Better software through faster feedback

Interested in a BDD Kickstart in Stockholm?
https://cucumber.io/events/bdd-kickstart-stockholm-16

Vinoth Kannan

Jul 13, 2016, 4:03:24 AM7/13/16
to Cukes
thanks a lot Thomas. it was clearly explained
I saw a tutorial to have multiple @Before methods

can you please explain how to prioritise it.

- Vinoth

Thomas Sundberg

Jul 13, 2016, 4:53:16 AM7/13/16
to cu...@googlegroups.com
You can specify the order as a parameter to the annotation.

@Before( order = 10 )

@After( order = 20)

Before hooks are executed in ascending order (lowest first).
After hooks executed in descending order (hightest first).

The default value for order is 10000 for both @Before and @After

/Thomas

Vinoth Kannan

Aug 31, 2016, 11:07:47 AM8/31/16
to Cukes
thanks a lot for clear explanation .

Thomas Sundberg

Nov 3, 2016, 3:40:48 AM11/3/16
to Sreedhar sree, Cukes
On 3 November 2016 at 07:37, Sreedhar sree <sreedhar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Thomas, is there any way to skip Background step for some scenarios in
> feature file using so9me annotations or cucumber hooks

Please, don't hijack a thread. Start a new thread instead.

I am not aware of any way to skip backgrounds for a specific scenario.

If I had that need, I would probably re-arrange my scenarios a bit.

Those scenarios that depend on a specific set of backgrounds would
live with the background. Those that don't want the background
executed would live in another feature file.

Cheers,
Thomas