Cucumber feature import-export

PREETHU D

Jan 13, 2017, 12:04:53 AM1/13/17
to Cukes
Is there a way to export cucumber feature file to Excel / Word / any other format in a well organized manner?
The need for above arise out of the situation that we need to share the feature file to people who do not have access to cucumber tool.
Also please guide me if there is a way to import features to cucumber from Excel / other format sources? (Features are documented in source file according to the expected style )

Andrew Premdas

Jan 13, 2017, 4:06:10 AM1/13/17
to cu...@googlegroups.com
Features are just text files, so you can import them into any other software just like you would any other text file. This is probably not a good idea though.

You can also store the text that makes up a feature in other pieces of software. However something very important happens once you start implementing a feature which is that the feature itself becomes code. Once the feature is code it has to live with the rest of the code in the codebase, and more importantly it has to be able to be changed/refactored as the codebase develops.

So if you are wanted to facilitate the creation of new functionality by passing around features in software like Excel or Word than thats fine, if a little bit clunky - you might be better of using your ticketing system, or some other collaborative tool. However if you are trying to use feature files to monitor what functionality exists in the system and to show what work has been done, then that won't work at all well. You'll end up making your development very much harder and much more expensive. These things are best done by ticketing systems and reviewing the actual application.

---

------------------------
Andrew Premdas

Tim Walker

Jan 14, 2017, 1:44:02 PM1/14/17
to cu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Preethu!

Thanks,

Tim

Ravindra Sharma

Jan 16, 2017, 5:22:07 AM1/16/17
to Cukes
i was also looking for same behaviour and tried picklesdoc mentioned above by Tim. its working very well and gives proper output for all the feature files.so far, i have tried html and excel outputs. Pickles gui is user friendly and gives pretty much what we need.

Regards,
~Ravindra
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cukes+un...@googlegroups.com.

PREETHU D

Jan 27, 2017, 4:45:29 AM1/27/17
to Cukes
Hi Ravindra,

Thanks for your response.
I have extracted the zip file.(picklesdoc-pickles-v2.11.1-17-g2336130.zip) and copied in C drive.
I tried to install pickles with the command as 'choco install pickles' in command prompt and its not working.
Can you please help me on this?

PREETHU D