Cubietruck with 22000mAh battery : unable to charge it fully, marks health=dead

Wladimir Mutel

Aug 28, 2015, 5:02:35 AM8/28/15
to Cubieboard
Dear all,

On my Cubietruck I use CT-Debian built by Igor Pecovnik, booting it from SD card, keeping Android installation untouched on internal NAND
I have a battery like this one : http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Large-capacity-ultra-Price-3-7V-22AH-22000mAH-polymer-lithium-battery-pack/1616514889.html
I attached it to the Cubietruck , changed its capacity in .fex file ( pmu_battery_cap = 22000 ) and recompiled /boot/cubietruck.bin using fex2bin
(and after the reboot ensured that its energy_full_design is read as 22000 from sysfs)
Now I see that Cubietruck power controller is unable to fully charge this battery in one go.
After some period of charging, battery health in sysfs is changed from 'Good' to 'Dead' and its charging is stopped.
To resume charging, I have to either unplug/replug its external USB 5v power (that's when I have local access to the box), or to reboot it remotely (when I am far away from it).
It can take multiple (3..5) replugs or reboots to fully charge this battery.
And I can assure that the battery is healthy: besides CT, I also power a DLink DGS 1100-08 Gigabit switch from its 5v output, the battery is discharged with total current ~750 mA, and on recent power outage it fed both CT & DLink for more than 24 hours. So its A*h capacity is quite close to its specified rating.

I suspect that it is marked 'Dead' because some its measurement (like voltage or capacity %) is growing too slowly during charging, because of its large capacity.
Can this be corrected by any other changes to .fex ?

I am attaching the original cubietruck.fex (obtained from Igor P. /boot/cubietruck.bin), and my modified script.fex (besides battery cap, I changed some ADC frequencies there, and video output, but not much more)

Or may be it is possible to simulate USB DC unplug/replug remotely through sysfs ? (so that physical access to the CT not be required). This would make an useful workaround if .fex modifications will not help.

cubietruck.fex
script.fex