Booting from sata, cb2, linaro lubuntu

George Tsiros

Aug 26, 2015, 1:43:04 AM8/26/15
to Cubieboard
information:

cubieboard2, lubuntu-desktop-nand.img 1.07 (or whatever is the latest lubuntu image available on the sunxi image download page), 64 GB SSD, external power

what i know

cubieboard boots from nand fine. /dev/nanda has some boot-related info, uenv.txt is in there. /dev/nandb has the root filesystem.

steps i took

I followed the directions on the cubieboard docs site

fdisk /dev/sda, created one partition, type 83, bootable, starting at sector 2048 (it was the default option when creating the partition with fdisk, so i thought it would be better to let it do that)

exited, synced

mkfs.ext4fs /dev/sda1

dd if=/dev/nandb of=/dev/sda1 bs=1M

sync

at this point, fsck /dev/sda1 fails.

(Who thought dd would work reading from a MOUNTED FILESYSTEM?)

i adjust uEnv.txt with root=/dev/sda1 and nand_root=/dev/sda1, write, sync, reboot and it fails to boot.

Any ideas how I should proceed?

Robert Moskowitz

Sep 2, 2015, 6:35:38 PM9/2/15
to cubie...@googlegroups.com
With Fedora22 on, you only put uboot on your mSD and all your partitions onto sata.  It boots with no changes like this.

At some point it will be 'safe' to move uboot to nand, but so far we are advised against that.  Just use a cheap mSD card for uboot only.